Feb 2022 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Jane) #30

Broke this morning at 45 hours. Wasn’t hungry and could have gone longer but hubby wanted breakfast and I wasn’t going to keep fasting with the smell of bacon and eggs in the house!.

I’m at just shy of 23 hours right now with the plan to go to 36 by tomorrow morning. Having my 2nd bottle of water with a pinch of salt this afternoon after some black coffee this morning. I really can’t get over how my hunger just shuts off after a little salt intake.

(Jane) #32

Same here. I put some under my tongue and put a few crystals in my coffee and the hunger goes away - amazing.

(Bob M) #33

It does seem to work well a lot of times. I have some large salt crystals I use to go under my (edit: not tough but tongue).

I hope to get back to fasting, but we’ll see. I’m exercising 5 days a week now, which means really the only day for me is Wednesday, which is a day off, and where I pick my daughter up from dance late. It’s a perfect day to fast, but what I was doing was exercising Sunday and Monday, which gives me one day (Tuesday) to be normal, then I can fast Wednesday. Now, I’m exercising M, Tu, TH, F, Sa, so I might be asking a lot of myself to fast We. We’ll see. I’m hopeful.

One step at a time as they say. Thankfully, I have been able to pretty much maintain my workouts even after adding the fasting. I know that doesn’t work for everyone. But for some reason, it seems to be OK for me.

(Bob M) #35

I’m hopeful that once I get a few weeks in, I’ll be able to fast again. I really like at least one day of 36 hour fast, even every two weeks.

I think part of the issue is that it’s so cold when I go jogging. I’m going to go tomorrow, and it’s going to be 9F (about -13C) out. This makes it a lot harder to run, at least for me. Which I theorize leads to a more intense workout, meaning I’m hungrier.

I would also like to do a 4.5 day fast, as I think I only did one last year. But it’ll have to wait until after my 5k run in late April, as even if I dropped my body weight workout days (2 days/week) but kept my jogging 3 days/week, I don’t think I could do two of those during a 4.5 day fast. At one time, I could. But now, I’m not sure I could.

Little embarrassed to say that I had a little binge moment coming off of this fast. Just had an entire bag of almonds. Did you ever tell yourself that you are only going to have a few and then you realize that you just went overboard?

At least it was almonds and not something too out there.

(Robin) #37

I just got a little rush while reading that. Yes, been there, but it’s been a while. Nuts are dangerous. In general. Macadamias are like crack cocain.

It’s not very informative as there are tiny bag and big bags… It’s so odd to me when people use bags and pieces to express amounts when it’s impossible that way…

Well yeah I had my moments with peanuts :smiley: I had a serious peanut addiction, i.e. I just could not eat it. I had it way worse with dried dates as I simply ate them ALL (I never had more than 500g, thankfully)… I stop with nuts and honorary nuts eventually, maybe around 100-150g. It’s not a big amount, I had 150g every day for probably years when I went low-carb but it could be still a problem.
But I learned and anyway, carnivore solved it immediately (if I go off, that’s another matter but I never got too wild again).

I learned about my problem items and usually avoided to have too much of them or something. I couldn’t do it with my mentioned addictive item as we simply have a few kilos of it all the time, I see it in the kitchen where I spend half of my life. It’s good I am a natural IF-er so I never ate it all day… But I can overeat it in 2 minutes so I am glad those times are over.

Night time feeding is worse. My respect towards my dietary rules are the tiniest there. I had zillion cute originally carnivore(-ish) days which become carby at night… I am better now but if I lack proper food, night eating may become a bigger problem than it should (as if I am hungry at night, of course I eat, it can’t be avoided).

And that was last night :frowning: Oh well, I try to go back to OMAD again. I suppose having a small OMAD meal on my workout day wasn’t a good idea but I had too easy satiation so it couldn’t be really helped.

At least I skip lunch every day so my first meal never happens before 4pm, it’s something. I only can fit, like, 3-4 meals between 4pm and bedtime (but it’s usually 1-2). It’s way worse when I eat early, at 3pm, that almost always means overeating. Why am I this difficult? :smiley:

I don’t even know what macadamias are like. I am into pecans :slight_smile: But it’s exotic, rare and expensive so I don’t taste it every decade. I have walnuts but they don’t trigger anything. Oh well I don’t blur out everything, once we established no one here has problems with it or something? Of course there is a chance someone different pops up…
I like poppy seeds a lot too. But they are like walnuts: I typically eat them in sweet things.

Do I have things I can’t stop eating nowadays…? Maybe pork roast sometimes… I came a long way. Certain fruits do it occasionally but the total amount still isn’t so high. I just plan 10g and ends up with 80g, that happens.

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

All nuts can be easily overeaten. I keep pecans downstairs in the storage pantry so I have to really put effort into getting them and eating them. Otherwise, I’d be eating them all the time.

(Robin) #40

Oh, I’m not that disciplined. I’d be working those leg muscles on those trip us and down the stairs! Good for you!

It would work for me though. Even just putting stuff into the freezer does wonders to me. I still am aware I have nice food with easy access but somehow it’s a barrier I kind of respect. If I really want it, it doesn’t help but it’s not so often the case.

It didn’t work with my salty fat bombs, they were good (peanut based so no wonder I was too tempted). Chocolate in the freezer never worked either - unless I put it into a separate box with the intention to use it later. My mind works in interesting ways. But I almost never did that with it, I usually make a tiny chocolate in the freezer (a thin layer. crunchy!) and eat it up even if I don’t want it (it takes some time to get hard and I may get satiated during that time. it’s normal for me, I eat, I am not satiated… But I wait and it gets way better). It’s there, it should be eaten… (One of my big eating problems is “it’s there”. I am way better but it’s not completely over yet.)

Carnivore helps as I don’t make chocolate, I just have a lot in jars but that’s different, I live with chocolate jars next to me since a decade. (Okay, I lived with peanuts next to me as well and I never learned to ignore it until carnivore… Peanuts are just that special. But I ate chocolate often too… I start to forget what I did on my original keto, it’s nothing like what I do now. Even my desires changed drastically.)

And eating all the time… Well, that’s where being a natural IFer can help… Especially with a tiny eating window. I may do crazy things but at least not before 3pm… Just sometimes. Weekends may be special though I stopped getting hungry at noon, yay! Too bad I can eat without hunger but it still makes things easier.
Today I have a baking phase. Very serious.

So after all of those nuts yesterday, I’m still down 1.4 lbs after that long fast. The body is an amazing thing. Apparently I needed something from those nuts since it didn’t mess up my progress. At least, that is what I’m telling myself…LOL

(KCKO, KCFO) #43

With two flights of stairs at least I get some movement in when I do cave and go get them.

(Robin) #44

Isn’t it funny how we create little mental barriers to foods we might binge on, and we respect them…. Knowing we could go in the freezer and eat all those little treasures. In my case, it’s never bringing the bag of local beef jerky with me. Take out three pieces and move along… then eat slowly and savor.

I’m with you on the barriers. I am very surprised at the number of habits that I had developed over the years that I had to break or that broke on their own since I’ve gone keto.

There are a couple more that I am still working on. But, it’s one step at at time. Eating before bed as I mentioned earlier is my biggest downfall. The fasting is certainly helping with that. But, I still get the urge.

If I get an urge, I eat. I don’t resist temptation, it’s against my core personality. So I need to avoid temptation.
Night eating isn’t natural to me so it’s totally up to my eating during the day. I can’t always guess the right amount, satiation is a tricky thing too… But good timing and food choices tend to work very well.
Today I had a mood to bake a lot and didn’t do OMAD but I will go back to it tomorrow or else it will be harder later… And I really like my OMAD when I manage to do it. It’s good for so many things! Convenience, avoiding overeating, it keeps me from getting bored of my food I think (sometimes it’s the other way but it usually helps with it)… And what else would I do with my bigger meals? It should be OMAD. I can’t eat tiny ones. But a bigger one lasts for so, so long… I really love fasting as long as I am perfectly satiated. Eating is such a chore (just because I like eating, it is, sometimes more than other times), I don’t want to bother with it too often. I may want food joy multiple times a day but I have cooking and baking for that…

I appreciate these fasting threads being available. It’s a little bit of accountability for me to type in here every once in a while. It really keeps me focused knowing someone else is doing this with me.

(Robin) #48

Bed time munchies… the sweet siren’s call to partake in the forbidden.

(Jane) #49

Started a new fasting thread for March: