Feast the day before?

Hi! So, I have a question about feasting before a fast.

My stats: 172cm, 69kg, and I do 23:1 most days of the week.

I want to join the Zorn fast this month and as a preparation I decided to start fasting yesterday (thursday) night, up until as Long as I can (Minimum saturday night is my Goal, or sunday if I can.)

I dont have that much fat to lose anymore, so it might be harder for me. Ive done 36 hours before successfully.

I think I remember Carl mentioning he feasts the day before and the day after his multiple day fasts. Question is: Should I? and how much of a fest?

So, my normal caloric intake is 1000 to 1200 cals, and I do cycle the caloric intake sometimes (one day eating less and the other more). What I did yesterday was, I didnt do my usual 23:1 IF schedule, ate breakfast which triggered my hunger and then had lunch, and then a very big dinner, which in total ended up in 2500 to 3000 calories, double my normal daily Protein intake and a lot of good fats. My theory is this would help Speed up my metabolism right before fasting. And it would also help me fast longer . Will it though? Is this right or Counter productive? I would then break my fast with a regular 1200 calorie day, since my feast already gave me enough calories to go the fasting days with a 1200/day average. Meaning I wouldnt Need a Surplus AFTER the fast.

But would it be better to feast only after the fast?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

If you are at goal weight or very near it please check out this calculator for the amount of fat you might have to provide during fasting.

I find that if I eat my normal meals with an emphasis on the fats, not necessarily upping the total caloric count, both before and after, I do the best with fasts. I tried loading up on lots fats afterwards and was not happy with the results. I eat plenty of saturated fats, along with olive oil, avocados, olives.

These days I do some fasting and just carry on as normal. I am a short, older woman just slightly below my goal weight. I think of it as being at my Phinney weight. I love what I eat, and I think I can maintain this going forwards. I reached goal end of April and maintained slightly below it since then.

(Mark Rhodes) #3

That calculator is so much nicer than my spreadsheet! YAY! Even better is the knowledge that my spreadsheet aligns with the experience of our forum. Double Yay! I do not add the extra fat preferring to total fast with exception of black coffee, water, salt and magnesium at about 36 hours ( I cramp up otherwise).