Feast Guilt

(Crippie) #1

So I have been catching up on the keto dudes podcast. I recently hit the episodes on switching it up and metabolic rate. Where they discuss how feasting before a fast can be beneficial to raise your metabolic rate before going into a fast.

I had a fast already planned for the end of the month so I decided I would give this a shot. And I started a feast phase over the past few days, so since Monday I have been eating much more than normal, trying to convince my body its in a state of excess so that my metabolic rate goes up, and then Thursday evening I will pull the rug out and fast until Sunday evening.

It has been nice being able to just eat without worrying about eating too much(everything is still ketogenic), but it has really made me feel guilty. I don’t know why, maybe because the scale bumped just a little bit?(but not an alarming amount) Maybe because eating without caring how much makes me feel like I am cheating my diet? I don’t know, anyone else experience this?

I figured this is worth a shot, and worst case I gain weight overall and then just go back to my normal IF and it’ll come back off. But if it works it will be nice to know that I can have my normal IF and then decide to go into a feast just because I want and follow with a fast to drop weight and have it all work together.

(Heidi ) #2

I can completely relate. I think it’s just a whole lot of old hard wiring. I “switch it up” a few weeks ago by feasting for three days and broke a stall ( 2months!!!) My husband pointed out to me that I was doing the same IF for a while and when I too a snapshot of my macros and total cal, it wound up kind of low (between 1000_1200 cal p/d) oops…so I ate 3000+ per day and lost 3lb hahaha. I then went back down to 1800 to 2000.
I think it just takes some success with it and the guilt will go away.
Remember, keep calm and ketogenic on!

(Crippie) #3

Thanks Heidi! That helps. I was trying to tell myself to KCKO this morning, and need to remember the keep calk part, the keto on has become easy, just need to not worry so much.

(Chris) #4

Fung and Ramos say to toss the scale out, there’s so much more that goes into your weight than bodyfat alone. Muscle and bone are heavier for instance. Personally, I fast every week between 36 hours and 5 days, I’m on a 10 day now, and I usually yoyo 148 to 160 easily. I don’t know how much your scale bumped you up, but there’s more going on than fat storage, especially if you keep it keto.

(Crippie) #5

Yea I have tried to stop caring about the scale. I definitely care a lot less than I used to, I just like how I feel and love having clothes fit better, even when it doesn’t move or goes up. But it always sneaks up on me every once in a while, normally after someone has noticed my progress and the first questions is how much weight I have lost, so many people use it ads the measure of success that its hard not to put some weight into it. But you are right the scale just needs to take a back seat. But still i think the guilt I feel is not really the scale, I guess its more that I feel like I am cheating(even though i know I am not) every diet I have ever done is about avoiding eating as much as possible, but with the feast/fast I need to eat more than I normally would to get that boost in my metabolic rate for the fast.

(Chris) #6

I weigh every day personally, but I have to keep reminding myself not to take it at face value. Also, I just settle on a nice even number to tell people when they ask, makes it simpler!

(Crippie) #7

UPDATE:

I am feeling less guilty now. Probably a combination of things. Everyone has been a big help for one! For two I was actually at a calorie deficit yesterday even tho it was part of my feast time, but I just could not eat, I was stuffed all day. And it is the last day of my feast, I start my fast tonight, and I checked my weight again, even though the scale did bump a couple pounds after the first couple days, it has not moved an inch the past 3 days and I have been eating like crazy, which makes me feel a little more confident that my body can do what it needs to, and hopefully will drop some weight with this fast. Even if I don’t drop any pounds, I still saw that I can have times where I can eat a lot more keto food and maintain weight without jumping up like I would back when i was a carb burner.

Thanks everyone!

I do not tell most people. I have a very judgemental family and I hope when I reach goal (in about 50-70 lbs, almost halfway there) to casually be able to tell people what I weigh. So I do not want one of my relatives doing the math. Maybe I will feel differently one day. H has lost 25 lbs and tells people, I will tell them about H and say I have lost much more

@Crippie when you have been feasting and cannot eat any more. Some people view that as the sign to start the fast then

(Chris) #9

Luckily my family is on board. My wife was supportive out of the gate, she’s always been intermittent fasting.

I actually got my 65 year old father to go full blown keto and he does OMAD, ADF and smaller extended fasts too. He’s lost about 50 pounds. He also got his best friend (T2D) into it, and off 2 of 3 of his diabetes meds.

My mom isn’t fully on board yet, she shit a chicken last night when I let it out that I was going 10 days. I don’t say shit to my grandparents in regards to fasting. It’s very much fight club rules.

(Crippie) #10

I will have to remember that! i should have started last night then! Oh well, I will feast this one last day and then jump on tonight with the small group of friends I planned it with. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip!

(Crippie) #11

yea luckily I have a pretty supportive family. My wife is doing it all with me and although she complains a lot about it shes sticking to it too.

None of the rest of my family wants anything to do with it, and think it sounds crazy, but they also see that I am getting results and that I am sticking to it and is happily encouraging that I continue to do what works for me. But suggest any of them try it and that is a different story haha.

(Carpe salata!) #12

Yeah no use pushing. They will try it 3 days and say it doesn’t work for them. lol

How do you eat that many calories but remain within your keto macros? This is the biggest puzzle for me. I’d love to know! Thanks!!

(Carpe salata!) #14

Keto macros have an open ended ‘ad libitum’ fat component.

If you’re still hungry, eat more fat.

(Crippie) #15

Fat fat fat! Add extra butter to my keto coffee, had a handful or three extra of macadamia nuts. Throw on some extra bacon for breakfast, maybe an extra egg. Its not too hard.Protein is pretty flexible and fat is wide open so its not too hard.

(Breanna) #16

I see this is a little after the fact being I’m posting this November 3rd lol but I have a question.
I also listened to the 2 keto dudes podcast with Megab R as a guest speaker talking about feasting & fasting. I am in the middle of trying this. I just finished fasting for 48hours and now am planning on feasting until Sunday at 8pm and then I will fast for 68 hours after that.
My question is, I am always hearing only eat to satiety. Well it only takes me 1800-2000 Cals I am find to get me to satiety. Much outside that I am just forcing myself to eat or snacking (keto) just to get more food in but not because I am hungry. So, is 2000 cals a day in a feast mode enough or so I push on and force Myself to eat more in order to get this feast/fast results I want.
I’m a 31 year old female, 5feet,5inches tall and about 160lbs, no medical concerns.

Thank you!

(Chris) #17

Yes. :grin:

(Breanna) #18

Sorry, is that yes 1800-2000 is enough for my feast if I feel full on that.
or
yes, I need to eat more even though I don’t feel hungry.
:blush:

(Keto Travels) #19

Just that. Or at least heavily selective information sharing. Judgy people may be allowed to observe me NOT eat, but feasting, at this point, is best done in private or with only supportive people around. I really don’t need my lovely meals ruined by snide comments and deaths stares along the lines of “look at what the fat lady eats”. Mind you I really don’t care about strangers anymore at this point. Maybe that comes with age - I had always decided that I would not get old, just excentric :smile:, so I may as well get started with that!

(Chris) #20

The calories you ate are enough if you’re full.