Feast and Famine - Defined and in practice? Looking for origins

conversationstarters
fasting
calories

Hello all! I am looking for the literature on being in fast mode and feast mode. I know @meganjramos speaks about it. but i am looking on how exactly that works? i searched the forum to no avail.

also would like to see how you all practice ‘feast and famine’? how do you define it?

thanks for reading!

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Here is the link to the podcast she did with the 2dudes. She explains it pretty well. Eat extra fat the day before your fast to rev up your metabolism, then fast, and after a little fat to break the fast, eat as you normally eat at the next meal.

It is feasting or fasting. You are either eating or you are fasting. Keep it simple.

Carl wrote about his experience with really feasting before and after fasting here:

Have you tried it?

(Jennifer) #4

I fast 3-4 days a week and I do this. The day before I start fasting I will eat well. Not pig out, but maybe eat a bit more fat during the day. I do the same the day after my fast ends. I might do IF a couple days before my next fast, just depends on what is going on. The trick is to always keep your body guessing and not letting it adapt.

That sounds great and totally manageable. I want to try this!

Just realized my search probably didn’t work cause the terms should be ‘feast or fast’.

Thanks everyone for answering. Would love to hear more how it is working for you all. Do you have guidelines?

Personally, I just am generous with food before and after a fast (actually I’m usually pretty generous with food :slight_smile: but it’s more conscious if I’m headed into a fast). If you do a search for “feasting” you’ll find a good number of threads on this.

(Jim Russell) #8

The thread that @collaroygal linked is long and has a lot of good info in it. It’s pretty simple. As @Madeleine said, just add a little extra (keto) food the day or two before you start your fast. Eat your normal food to satiety. Then eat a little more. You don’t have to go crazy and pig out.

Some people also feast after they have ended their fast. I have tried it both ways and haven’t really noticed much difference.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Yes, my last few fasts have been a feast day or two before, then fast, when breaking it, make sure there is lots of good fats. I eat pretty normal with maybe adding some more cheese or nuts, putting whipped cream on some berries that sort of thing.

Fasting always make me eat slower and more thoughtfully when I refeed. One of the best benefits to fasting as far as I am concerned.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Forgot to put the link to Megan Ramos’s podcast with the dudes.