Fear of future hunger... Quite the demon

(Albert Lotito) #1

Hi all.
I find that my biggest challenge in fasting is fear of being hungry later.bit rears its ugly head even as I think of fasting.i have gotten through a number of 18-24 hour fast and even a 48 hour fast… But the fear of being hungry (not actually being hungry) is like a sledge hammer.
The other problem is boredom and stress… If what a hassle.
Duct tape my mouth closed and I’ll be fine.

-AGL

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You can always stop fasting if you start to get hungry. Doesn’t it help to know that?

If you find that you eat from boredom and stress, perhaps there is something you can put in your mouth to relieve that. For example, Dr. Robert Cywes, the bariatric surgeon in Florida, says that he always keeps a cup of coffee handy, to help deal with his carb addiction. I believe that most people who fast consider coffee and tea (especially black) to be perfectly acceptable while fasting.

(Albert Lotito) #3

The mind is a powerful thing. Fear is… Fear.
I know I can eat.it is like bugs bunny with and angel and a devil over his shoulders…
The struggle is real my friend.

The quest continues.

I don’t quite understand it. If I get hungry, I eat and it goes away… No struggle at all, real hunger means I need to eat :slight_smile:

I don’t know how anyone can get bored unless they are standing in a row with a headache so they can’t even think but you surely can do something else. If you want to consume something but you don’t need food (and the temptation to eat isn’t great)… Well, coffee or tea works for me (duct tape never would :D). But if it must be food, eat food just careful what and how much if possible.

Of course, it may be simple for me as I don’t have your problems and your everything. I have other problems regarding food and maybe you would consider them trivial…

But wait. I actually was very serious about doing EF a handful of times in my life and it’s not actually fear but I felt I need to make sure I WON’T get hungry (except for my 120 hours where my determination and curiosity was huge)… I always have a strong day before it, satiating and high calorie. It almost always do the trick together with my determination. But nothing happens if I still eat, actually. And I realized I shouldn’t do this in a way that I feel stuffed after my last meal. Effective for me but not nice.

18-24 hour is short, what’s the problem there? But if you aren’t ready for such an IF, wait, you may arrive to that eventually… I would let things happen. Sometimes my fast is unusually short, sometimes it’s longer than usual, it’s quite natural, I think.

(Albert Lotito) #5

Hehe…
What I know and what the demons speak are not aligned.
As to boredom… Well there facets of my existence that are what they are and I am working on several fronts…

No one is a monolithic being and the multidimensional nature of a personality means we all experience the challenges diffirently.

I learned, in recovery to identify and not compare. Everyone has a story worth telling and no one is worthy to judge the journey of another.

No one’s struggle is trivial, but it is personal.

Another saying from recovery: “how do you dance with a gorilla?”

“Any way it wants.”

We all have gorillas in our life…