Favorite motivational saying

(Bunny) #41

My favorite motivational ketogenic guru on portion size from history. (i.e. the art of austere discipline and hormetic living in a highly refined world!)

”…In 1558 Venetian merchant Luigi Cornaro became the first diet guru when he wrote The Art of Living Long.

Cornaro’s book came during the renaissance, which profoundly influenced European thinking. He portrayed old age as worthwhile. He also recommended a high fat, low carbohydrate diet taken in small, measured quantities. He wrote “I accustomed myself to the habit of never fully satisfying my appetite, either with eating or drinking.” His first rule was to regain self control over what you eat. He lived to be around 100 years old. His book is still in print. …” …More

Keto researcher & scientist Cristi Vlad wrote a lot about Cornaro in his superb science + cross cultural history book Periodic Fasting: Repair your DNA, Grow Younger, and Learn to Appreciate your Food.

Cornaro was cool - through fasting he somehow extended his vital life and also still enjoyed artisanal bread and wine when he ate. Probably has to do with the heirloom wheat and small portions ofc. :sunglasses:

(Bunny) #43

Cornaro strikes me as the kind of aristocratic nobleman who could do this with a bag of Cheetos, if he wanted too …lol

Here’s mine - it sure has steadied my mind and reminded me of my connection to the great cosmic life cycle through life’s ups and downs, crises and opportunities, for embodiment, enlightenment, and recomposition! :sparkles:

I often shorten it to just ‘trust the process’. The natural world and the universe itself is all about processes and cycles.

keep%20calm%20and%20trust%20the%20process%20resized

LOLololol, that cracked me up.

(Central Florida Bob ) #46

Quitting is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Don’t know who said it - saw it on a weight lifters’ website.

That might be my new favorite, because it’s just so true and I have definitely been guilty in the past of chucking entire parts of myself and life in response to a temporary issue - working on not making those snap decisions to quit anymore.

(Karen) #48

Interesting series of articles. I didn’t know Lord Byron starved himself to look pale and interesting. What a silly man

He also slept with his sister. I mean he was a heck of a poet but :crazy_face:

Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim.
(Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.)
The Ovid.

(Bunny) #51

Maybe it is form of dietary Dracugoth! :skull_and_crossbones::ghost::skull:

(Karen) #52

I think he lived to 102 didn’t he? I was just listening to a podcast regarding the Doctor Who wrote keto Terrian. I guess Ancel Keyes also lived to 102. Both of them must be getting something right.

(Kirk) #53

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Abraham Lincoln

:smirk: Lol, he was wise beyond his time!

(CharleyD) #55

That works not only in marksmanship but also car control in all kinds of racing.:innocent:

(Karen) #56

This certainly applies to holidays, vacations, cheat days, Etc. It always takes me at least three days to get rid of some carbs that I have eaten on one of these days

('Jackie P') #57

For those times when things aren’t happening fast enough …

Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Also

Let me not die while I am still alive.

(Jennibc) #58

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” Randy Pausch, “The Last Lecture”

If you haven’t watched the Last Lecture or read it, it’s worth your time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

(Karen) #59

This is wonderful and something I need to keep at the forefront of my brain.

('Jackie P') #60

“Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for”
Edith Piaf on her deathbed (age 47)