Favorite motivational saying

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #61

There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

(Karen) #62

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(Susan) #63

“Slow and steady wins the race.”

(from the story the tortoise and the hare).

I keep reminding myself of this one since starting Keto!

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #64

Suck it up buttercup.

(Karen) #65

Daisy, on the keto woman, had a good one the other night. Being on keto is like riding a bicycle. You can keep your balance as long as you keep moving.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up.”

• Vince Lombardi

(Karen) #67

Yep, as long as you keep getting up

(Art ) #68

What a smart group of people - quotes by Bach and Jiddu Krishnamurti. Here are a couple from Michel de Montaigne

Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.

I care not so much what I am to others as what I am to myself.

(Karen) #69

Here’s one that I always think about when a nanny government tries to control choices. Governing the sale of extra large sodas seems like and invasion of our choices. We should be able to choose to drink a large drink or not. Certainly not government’s business. How much protection from ourselves do we actually need. And what is even more surprising is that grown adults think government should make choices for us. Think of how well prohibition worked. People should certainly have the right to poison themselves if they wish. We are grown adults. Hops off her soap box.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #70

While I agree that sugar should be banned rather than taxed, I suspect that governments aren’t concerned so much with protecting people from themselves, as from protecting taxpayers from a crushing burden of health care costs. Robert Lustig’s estimates of the effect of diabetes and other metabolic disease on the economics of the Medicare system is very frightening.

The social costs of smoking tobacco, by the way, were what finally provided the impetus for governments to restrict or prohibit smoking in so many public venues. I doubt matters would have reached this point, had the costs of treating smokers with lung cancer or emphysema been borne out of tobacco company profits instead of out of the public purse.

(Art ) #71

Here’s an idea - do like Norway and tax the hell out of sugar. I was there this spring. A Coke and a candy bar will run about $12. Guess how many times I had that?

Not wanting to get in a big political argument - this nation is headed toward Idiocracy and IMHO a lot of people need the govt’s protection from their own stupidity. Seat belts are a good example.

Everyone is an island of free will until they need to rely on the exact same system they’ve railed against their entire lives.

(Karen) #72

I see your point.

(Karen) #73

I’m a real penny pincher so if they charged a lot for sugar I probably wouldn’t buy it

(Libby) #74

amen

(Patrick L Anderson) #75

“Our greatest fear shouldn’t be of failure, but rather being extremely successful at something that doesn’t matter…”

(Karen) #76

Oh my.! That’s a good one.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

“A fool and his bacon are soon parted.”—All the more for me, then! :bacon:

(Patrick L Anderson) #78

Never accept criticism from someone that you wouldn’t go to for advice.

(Susan) #79

This is very very good, I like this one. This should be something we all remember on our Keto journey when we get yelled at for it.

(Karen) #80

Love this Patrick. I think it’s way too easy to except criticism, when we never except praise. Why is it that we believe what critics say and disbelieve when we are given praise.