Fatty Liver Disease: Poor science. Nicely obfuscated

(Joey) #1

In another cringe-worthy research report, have a look at this recent paper asserting links between PFAS chemical exposure and fatty liver disease. I’m not suggesting that PFAS chemicals aren’t dangerous to health - on the contrary. But looking at their actual data, the paper’s focus becomes farcical.

Spoiler: They totally missed out on citing the diabetes, obesity, smoking, and drinking associations in lieu of a chemical link.

[Sure, the average disease risk from PFAS exposure is shown to be 4.5x… but it ranges anywhere from 1.2x (minimal) to 16.0x (massive), leaving some head scratching as to the meaningful significance of the effect. But that’s besides the point…]

The real kicker comes from looking at the OTHER differences reported between those who contracted non-alcohol fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and those who did not:

• NAFLD DISEASE: 38% had DIABETES;

• vs. NO LIVER DISEASE: 8% had DIABETES

• NAFLD DISEASE: 46% were OBESE;

• vs. NO LIVER DISEASE 16% were OBESE

• NAFLD DISEASE: 48% were non-drinkers

• vs. NO LIVER DISEASE: 58% were non-drinkers

• NAFLD DISEASE: 62% were former SMOKERS

• vs. NO LIVER DISEASE: 48% were former SMOKERS

In other words, if you are obese, have diabetes, consume alcohol, and smoke, you are more likely to develop liver disease. Why aren’t these the real key risk factors highlighted in the research on liver disease?

For your own amusement, here’s a direct link to the paper:
https://www.jhep-reports.eu/article/S2589-5559(22)00122-7/fulltext

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I see that fructose didn’t even make the list. I’ll bet Robert Lustig would have something to say about that!

Seriously, however, I’m sure it’s possible that this class of chemicals can potentiate the real causative factors.

(Joey) #3

While I don’t doubt the danger of such chemicals, given the logic of this study one can just as easily conclude that PFAS in some way lead to obesity, diabetes, smoking, and consumption of alcohol. :roll_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Hey, you’d drink, smoke, and overeat, too, if you were exposed to those chemicals, lol! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Rossi Luo) #5

Yeah, it’s quite difficult to link a single substance to the fatty liver disease. I will see my result of my fatty liver in months to see if it’s completely gone. My grandpa died of cirrhosis, I believe I have part of the gene of him, we will see if Keto diet can make the disease gone! I can’t wait to go to get the scan… But I have to give time to it …