FATTY ACIDS improve health outcomes in MS patients?

(Joey) #1

An article appearing today in UPI’s feed struck me based on the last sentence (below). Apparently higher levels of fatty acids in the blood and spinal fluid might explain improved outcomes in MS patients. Well, isn’t that interesting? … increasing one’s serum fat content is healthier for those with myelin sheath issues? …

“Tests showed that higher doses of stem cells produced higher levels of fatty acids in blood and cerebrospinal fluid, which might be one potential explanation of the protective effects seen in this study, the researchers said.”

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2023/11/28/stem-cells-multiple-sclerosis/4141701179983/

(Bob M) #2

It would be nice if they limited that “fatty acids” to … something. There are a lot of fatty acids. Or does it mean all fatty acids?

(Edith) #3

Here is another paper that analyzed a bunch of studies that looked at MS markers and progression of the disease related to diet and nutrients. It is very long but quite interesting. Table 1 in the paper has links to the different studies.

(Bob M) #4

At least they’re looking at a keto diet in humans:

I’m not fond of mice studies, as (1) well, they’re mice, (2) a lot of times what is “keto” in a mouse study really isn’t, and (3) to go with (1), I’m not sure mice should be eating high fat.

(Joey) #5

Agreed on all fronts. That studies re: remission/symptoms were focused on humans with MS seems to bolster the relevance quite a bit.

(Bob M) #6

I agree.

I do like the study of keto with intermittent fasting versus a vegetarian-focused diet. I think that a well-thought-out vegetarian diet could be beneficial and even give keto + IF a valid competitor. But that means low “garbage” (like rice cakes and other junk-food-like vegetarian fare) and high nutrition. “Plant-based” doesn’t mean it’s not junk food. (Heck, I love these chocolate-dribbled, sea salt coconut macaroons, but I rarely eat/buy them because I have a tendency to eat the whole bag. Eat one, not too many carbs. Eat the whole bag…) We’ll see what happens.