Fatigue

(Steven) #1

Is it possible to eliminate the fatigue you get while getting fat-adapted completely? I still get some fatigue, like after about a hour of standing. Or will there always be some until you’re in ketosis?

(Carl Keller) #2

Hi arokace.

Part of being fat adapted means that fatigue is not present. Being able to easily access our fat storage means that energy issues are not a problem. I believe if someone is fat adapted and experiencing fatigue, it might have something to do with a mineral imbalance. If you are not getting enough magnesium, potassium, vitamin B12 or folic acid, this might be causing your fatigue.

You can see if your doctor can run a blood test to see if there is something you are lacking.

Fatigue can occur to anyone in ketosis if ur salt intake is low, its just more worse in the beginning as the low salt intake caused fatigue stacks up with the fatigue u get from ur cells not operating at optimal level (not being adapted to fat yet).

(Carl Keller) #4

If I had looked at your keto start date I would have suggested sodium instead of the other minerals. I assumed you had been LCHF much longer when you spoke about being fat adapted. Fat adapted has a much different meaning that adapting to fat.

Anyway, ODE is probably spot on. Make sure you get at least 2+ teaspoons of sodium per day. When we restrict carbs, we excrete sodium at a higher rate and a lot of things can feel off if we don’t compensate.

(Steven) #5

what I am talking about is when you are in the process of becoming fat-adapted, I either just finished the flu portion of the beginning or I finally got my electrolytes, vits, etc at a good spot. But this is why I am wondering if it is possible to remove the fatigue completely (at the point of the transition I am in) because if it is then I know I need to up my salt still. Started 5/16/19

(Carl Keller) #6

Some people do experience fatigue when transitioning from being a carb burner to a fat burner but it’s only temporary. As your body gets better at the process, your energy levels should increase to where they are better than ever. Pre-keto I was always tired after about 4 hours on my feet. Now I can 9-10 hours with no problems.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

Mine lasted about a week. It helped to drink broth, stay super hydrated and eat when I was hungry (including snacks), rest when needed. You’ll feel better soon.