Father in law approaching doctor about Keto - what can we arm him with?

(Phillip Brandvold) #1

Okay keto friends…my father in law was diagnosed with Diabetes sometime last year. He’s now on the highest does of Metformin he can be on, and his doctor is saying that he needs to go on Insulin. Ya’ll know as well as I that this can be avoided, and my wife and I have suggested Keto as an option to not only avoid Insulin but also reverse the damage already done and get him off Metformin.

Here’s the great news - he’s interested. He’s very willing to try.

However, I want to get ahead of misgivings he and his doctor (and his nurse wife) might have. I’m not sure if his doctor is aware of Keto, or for or against it, etc, but we all know that nutrition advice is always “fat bad, carbs fine, take your insulin!” so I want to compile some studies and resources for both my father in law, my mother in law, and the doctor.

For the doctor, I’m thinking some studies are good to show the benefits of Keto for Diabetes reversal, as well is some (well informed, well researched) articles with overviews of the diet that address some common misgivings. For my mother in law, I’m thinking similar things. I’m not sure how into reading medical studies my father in law will be, so just some easy to use resources for him are probably best (I’ll be suggesting this site of course).

Hit me with your easiest to understand, most comprehensive resources for approaching his doctor. What have you done in your experience? I plan on suggesting to him that he offer this diet on a “trial basis” to his doctor and take all the tests before, during, and after (I’m thinking like 8 weeks? Take lipid panel/blood tests before starting, halfway through, and after to show progress?). What are your thoughts on that?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

(Bunny) #3

Virta Health (the best resource in the world, period!)

(Phillip Brandvold) #4

Wow this is a great resource! Thank you! I love that they have all of their published papers all together and accessible.

(Scott) #5

Tell the doctor listen to all of the 2ketodudes podcasts and get back to you. While he is doing that have your father in law get started on keto.

(Carl Keller) #6

Even the ADA is endorsing low carb as an option for diabetes treatment:

A recent consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends that people with diabetes be offered individualized medical nutrition therapy, rather than be given the “one-size-fits-all” advice to count carbohydrates and restrict calories. Included in options that should be offered to patients are low-carbohydrate diets.

These might be helpful :

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/papers/

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/articles/

(Phillip Brandvold) #8

Definitely don’t want my father in law doing Keto without his doctor on board. Pre-Metformin, sure. Now that he’s on blood sugar meds, I want to make sure the doc can help wean him off with correct dosage based on blood sugar readings.

Pharmacist here- metformin works independently of the blood glucose increase from food & as such is pretty much the only diabetes med with almost zero risk of low blood sugar, which is why a lot of people take it for other reasons or remain on it even after reversal by diet, so it would be safe for him to give keto a try regardless though of course I always recommend at least having the doctor aware of a “low carb” diet (some caution against the use of keto as a description). My own primary doc didn’t use the word but agreed a diet of meat, veggies nuts and seeds “like a caveman” was ideal.

(BuckRimfire) #10

Thanks for posting that! I’d heard the ADA had lighted up, but hadn’t seen any details yet

N=2

Keto has been a far better treatment for my T2 diabetes than medications. I used to have an A1c of 7.3 while using insulin and metformin. Since starting keto over 2 years ago, it’s been as low as 5.2 without any diabetes medications.

My mom has been a T2 diabetic for decades and started keto earlier this year. She takes repaglinide and had struggled to keep blood sugar in the 140’s. Many times since starting keto, she’s had measurements under 100. She’s cut back on the repaglinide and is still seeing low numbers.

At the end of 2016, I was in the hospital and at my heaviest weight, after nearly five decades of trying to lose weight. Now, after more than two years of restricted calorie keto:

• I’ve lost nearly 200 pounds (lowest weight since before stomach stapling in 2000)
  • I’m no longer ravenously hungry all the time
  • My blood sugar is under control without insulin or metformin
  • My kidney function has improved (I needed dialysis for several months in 2008)
  • My liver function has improved
  • My thyroid function has improved
  • My uric acid is down
  • My blood pressure is down
  • I no longer need oxygen therapy

As of my mom’s last blood work, she’s now moved from borderline stage 4 CKD to stage 3B. She had the highest eGFR she’s had in years. It had been declining bit by bit.

(Randy) #12

I’d make sure he understands the his doctor works for him, not the other way around.

Ask the doctor to google “Virta Study”.

(Phillip Brandvold) #13

That’s really good to know, thanks. I didn’t realize that Metformin worked that way. So how does it work that way? I assumed it just lowered blood sugar regardless, but I guess that’s a pretty broad assumption on my part.

It lowers the glucose production of the liver primarily, and also increases uptake of glucose into cells (if there isn’t excess glucose to push, it won’t do that :)) as well as reduces absorption of glucose (again if there isn’t excess it won’t do that)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

I think this is a great way to approach it. He may have to convince his wife but a doctor can’t tell him what to do, they work for him, he’s not paying to be a customer.

:cowboy_hat_face: