Fat problems

(Allie) #2

Just keep carbs below 20g and eat fat / protein as needed to not be hungry and feel good. When you’re used to that, tweak levels if needed.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Try cutting out coconut oil for a few days, many people are sensitive to it. You don’t need to hit a fat macro, just have some if you’re hungry with your meal. Don’t stress about overeating protein, there’s a lot more headroom than most people or macro calculators think. I weigh 160 now and I still losing weight eating up to 150g. of protein daily, in fact I have noticed a weight loss increase since I raised that macro.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Norm Murphy) #4

Ok, carbs are definitely low but I’m afraid that if I up protein to satiety it may raise carbs too high.

('Jackie P') #5

Are you taking a PPI? When I started I had been taking Omeprazole for years and I couldn’t tolerate fat until I read that the function of stomach acid was to break down fats an proteins! I stopped and haven’t looked back.
ACV is reported to increase hydrochloric acid and, paradoxically, reduce indigestion.
Google increase stomach acid for some tips.:blush:Welcome

(Norm Murphy) #6

Not sure what PPI is but I am on no meds at all. I’ll try cutting coconut oil and see what happens.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Are you looking at your macros as percentages? If so switch to paying attention to your carb limit in grams only. <20g. per day is the recommended limit to start with.

Try this instead of focusing on meeting macro percentages. :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #8

I’m so sorry, it stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor, a drug that reduces hydrochloric acid in the stomach! It is one if the most widely prescribed drugs, mainly because LFHC diets don’t utilize the acid efficiently, causing indigestion and acid reflux.
I’m so glad thats not my problem any more :blush:

(Allie) #9

I don’t understand why you think this will happen, what are your protein sources?

(Norm Murphy) #10

It seems everything I read warns against too much protein, I’m eating fatty red meat “Ribeye”,ground beef, fatty chicken “not chicken breast”.

(Norm Murphy) #11

Thanks so much for your help Alliie, Jacqueline, David and KME. I’ll not worry so much about adding protein and definitely cut out coconut oil and see what happens. I am really bummed about not seeing the increased energy and mental clarity tho. Hopefully it will come in time. My main reason for going keto is weight loss 2nd and high inflammation markers in my bloodwork. Arthritis is my main problem and so far that seems to be improving.

(Allie) #12

It sounds to me like you’re on the right track definitely, you’ll get there. Honestly don’t worry about protein / fat amounts in the early stages as your body needs time to adjust and heal, and as your arthritis is improving, that does seem to be happening :slight_smile:

(Norm Murphy) #13

Thanks Shortstuff Allie, I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I’ll keep it up and see what happens.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #14

Welcome to the forum @Norm! It looks like you’ve had some good success so far. You’ve lost a little weight and your inflammation has decreased. You’ve only been doing Keto for 2 months, so I would say just keep at it, don’t worry about the macros except for the carbs. It took me a good 2 months to begin feeling better when I started in early March. Everyone has to experiment to find their own sweet spot on Keto. I expect that if you continue to keep your carbs below 20 grams a day you’ll soon begin to see increased benefits. As they say around here “KCKO” (Keep Calm & Keto On)!

(Bob M) #15

In my opinion, the warnings about “too much protein” are misplaced, if not wrong. I went from Jimmy Moore’s super high fat diet to Ted Naiman’s higher protein diet, and I’ve permanently switched to higher protein. Fat does not fill me up, but protein does. I still eat higher fat meals at times, but I primarily emphasize lean meats. (Though not chicken breasts or egg whites - these bring back bad memories of low fat.)

I bought a continuous glucose monitor to test my body and higher protein, and even eating massive amounts of protein per meal (200+ grams/meal), I found no blood sugar rise (or change at all). I can eat a pound of ground meat (80+ grams of protein), and can’t tell when I ate it on my CGM.

Only you can test it on yourself.

(Norm Murphy) #16

Thank you Jane glad to be here. Your advice and encouragement are much appreciated and needed. I have to Keto on because nothing else works and I’ve tried it all. It may take me a little while to find my elusive sweet spot but I will.
Thanks again, Norm

(Norm Murphy) #17

Hello Bob, thanks for your help. My fear of higher protein also comes from Jimmy Moore and Stephanie Person. I have had the same experience as you with fat vs protein on satiety. I’ve listened to all the podcasts with the “experts” and applied that information to get started. It seems to me these people are too inflexible in their beliefs and I think one size does not fit all. Extremely high fat just doesn’t seem to agree with me, and like you higher protein has not raised my blood glucose levels. I’m going to drop my fat intake to a level that agrees with my stomach and raise protein to stop hunger. My carbs are well below 20 grams as I eat only small amounts of vegetables. I’m going to continue to dial this thing in and chase that mental clarity and increased energy everyone speaks of.
Thanks again, Norm.

(James Aquilina) #18

(Regarding mental clarity) Is Norm’s case an example of being in ketosis, but not yet fat adapted? I know it took be a few weeks to get into an adapted state; and my wife a few months.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

A couple of thoughts that might be useful.

First, stick with solid fats, such as butter, lard, tallow, and bacon grease. Avoid seed oils (canola, sunflower, cottonseed, safflower, corn, etc.), because they contain a high percentage of polyunsaturates, which can cause nausea. Even avocado, coconut, and olive oils may be too much for you, though most people tolerate them well. If you limit the polyunsaturates and stick to saturated and monounsaturated fat, you might tolerate fat better.

Also, I like to remind people of the distinction between total meat and its protein content. Even steak is only about 25% protein by weight, so it’s possible to eat quite a bit and still keep protein reasonable. Furthermore, though we tell people to keep their protein consumption “reasonable,” some people find protein more satiating than fat, while it’s the reverse for other people.

In either case, however, don’t eat past your hunger. When you stop being hungry, stop eating, and don’t eat again until you’re hungry again. I suspect that might help your fat tolerance.

(Norm Murphy) #20

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. I do avoid seed oils and I think coconut oil may possible be giving me problems. I make fat bombs heavy in coconut oil so I’ll cut those out and see. Also, what do you think about using block cheese, cream cheese and heavy cream as a source of fat? I work 12 to 14 hours a day on the road so my meals come from a cooler. Most of my fat comes from a cheese and broccoli cauliflower concoction I can eat cold. Any ideas on how I could utilize other fats during my work day?

(Patrick L Anderson) #21

i have found that too much coconut oil at one time is rocket fuel to my intestines. When I blend it into my morning coffee or tea I do much better.