Fat people at work

(hottie turned hag) #41

HA I could’ve written this post to the letter.

Menopause changed my ability to stay slim on SAD.
So I went keto as being fat and feeling like crap was unacceptable to me.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #42

I’ve been eating keto for a year, since being digagnosed with cancer in June of 2018. I totally miss eating a plate of fries with my bunless-burger. I miss pasta. And right now I’m trying to figure out what is going on with my glucose. I’m beginning to wonder if my sensor is having trouble! I’ve been sitting around 100 mg/dL (CGMs use a sensor that tests the fluid around cells) but a fingerstick just showed me at 83 mg/dL. That’s a huge difference. I trust the 83 more than the 100, as my ketones are currently around 0.6 (not to bad for getting up about 2 hoursg ago).

We all struggle with things, and my big thing is keeping my glucose under 100 (ideally under 90). I can do it with fasting, but I struggle to figure out why X causes Y. Sometimes there is no pattern!

On other notes, I’m 39 and had surgically-induced menopause. My cancer diagnosis came as a total shock (long story, you can find details on my blog: www.ketoCancerMom.com). Switching my eating wasn’t too hard, but its always a journey. I’m trying to maintain my weight (meaning not lose too much). I’m thin, but lacking muscle (that’s something I should fix…gain at least some so I’m not at risk of sarcopenia (too little muscle)).

I’ve been learning a lot about cancer and how it feeds off of sugar, so being educated about the proper way to eat was so helpful for changing my habits. Its all in how its presented. There are a few people I can complain to (husband being one) about candy on the desk at the cancer infusion center. And don’t get me started on the snacks they offer there…

When the medical community, in general, endorses something most people are going to go along with it. Things will eventually change there, but we need new doctors who understand how food and the body interact before things will change.

(Bob M) #43

This is why after several thousand tests, I stopped testing. Every time I thought I thought I determined a pattern, I would find a test that didn’t fit the pattern. As a scientist, I know that one test that does not indicate a pattern means there is no pattern (assuming that one test was verified as being not a fluke).

So, I gave up testing. I still use my ketonix, only because it’s on my desk at work and doesn’t cost anything to use.

(Scott) #44

My mom switched us to margarine loaded with trans fats to get away from bad butter with bad saturated fat. It happens. I also ate sugar laden cereals and added more sugar. If it wasn’t that it was Eggo waffles with syrup. It is funny to think about now, butter on the waffle was the healthiest part of that breakfast.

(Mimi) #45

Omg. Me too! This just drives me crazy. Hard candy everywhere at my oncologist’s office. They also have graham crackers by the bucket fulls.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #46

Yeah. Its really sad. I’m thankful that my oncologist is on board with me eating Keto. The nurses are also pretty good about letting me skip pre-meds if they make me feel yucky. Sometimes I think the pre-meds are worse than the chemo itself. sigh I just want to find the right therapy to finally kick this cancer out of me for good. Its tough…

(Bob M) #47

That is tough, especially considering they won’t even look at other regimens, such as inhibition of l-glutamine and hyperbaric chambers. You’d be a good candidate for those, from a keto perspective.

(Bob M) #48

Case in point: The “saturated fat is deadly” thought process has them giving tons of PUFAs in a fake drink to cancer patients, then wondering why the keto diet didn’t do better. Idiots.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1758835919879268

(Joe Potter) #49

I think they just don’t know. I know my own personal experience, that I tried for so long counting calories and eating a carb rich diet. I exercised regularly, tried eating “ healthy “ , “ whole grain “ etc It just didn’t work for me. I was hungry all the time and could never lose more that 10 lbs. Yet every year, the weight crept up year over year. I didn’t know that carbs were the culprit. So my thought is, they just don’t know. They don’t understand that carbs drive hunger and ultimately drive a deranged metabolism. That is why it’s important to get the word out to people that are ready to hear the message.

(Troy) #50

Welcome aboard :slightly_smiling_face:

There are genetic differences, called polymorphisms
People in general respond to foods differently
So what we eat ( nutrition) can influence our genes so called " expression "
The field of nutrigenomics(sp?)

So, I choose this WOE

That’s all I got for big SAT words above :joy:

Good Luck

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #51

It’s not that they won’t look at, it’s more that insurance won’t cover “experimental” treatments, even if the doctor authorized it

(Mark Don) #52

I don’t think this is limited to a small group of people… eating garbage is a common global issue
People also tend to copy bad habits like drinking or smoking
I believe they are aware of the dangers of doing that but they don’t have a long term plan…

(Rebecca ) #53

I couldn’t agree more!!! I can’t begin to imagine judging my co-workers like that.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #54

Why are some women derogatory towards other women when you could simply say overweight?
Why don’t you stop worrying about what they are doing and focus on yourself?
People have bad habits, it doesn’t make them bad people nor should they be judged for their food choices. And because, people really can blame their genetics.
Insulin resistance is passed down from the mother to the baby, and over generations, this can lead to a very large metabolic issue and lots of other issues.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #55

http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-62-lily-nichols-rdn-sets-the-nutrition-record-straight Lily Nichols interview covers this in fact and is hot-off-the-press

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #56

:100: amen

(Susan) #57

Hi Keto Mom,
I dont test. I just stick to the diet plan. If I don’t eat on time I feel shakey and weak. If I eat to much carbs my vision goes.

1. List item

(Susan) #58

Derogatory? I didn’t know fat was a bad word. Is heavy ok?

(Jane) #59

If you are weak and shaky you are doing it wrong and not eating keto.

Can you post a typical day’s menu, including snacks and what times you eat? We can help you feel better. You should have more energy and feel less hungry on keto.

(Susan) #60

8am-1 egg
9am cottage cheese w/sugarless peanut butter.
12pm tuna w/Mayo on rice cake
1230 pm apple
230pm plain yogurt
6pm cheese burger no bread
Desert 1 slice wheat bread with peanut butter and jelly
Exercise either bike ride or gym
Late snack rice cake with peanut butter and strawberries