Fat makes you fat (ter than hi carbs) study

(Nigel Williams) #1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7598063/

This summary seems to go against what we (most of us) experience and believe. I have to pay to see the full details, but wondered if anyone knew anything more about this.

(Randy) #2

When you have a lot of carbs as well, excess fat will make you very fat.

Ask me how I know? :wink:

I doubt the excess fat group was carb restricted, and in that context a lot of fat would be bad.

Over the last 3 1/2 months I’ve eaten a lot of fat and lost 63 pounds. For people like me (us) carbs are deadly.

(Tim) #3

I think it was the pairing of the Fat and Carbohydrates together that did the damage, not the Fat itself. According to the abstract, participants were overfed both.

(ianrobo) #4

What is needed once and for you is a proper Keto/LCHF group and the normal advised SAD, however the time span for this has to be 20 years !

(Christopher Bingel) #5

I think this is in line with our understanding of insulin and metabolism. Carb intake prompts an insulin response which inhibits fat metabolism, and directs cells to use glucose for energy. I would also be interested to see if there was any breakdown between obese and normal weight subjects, or if glucose or insulin was measured before, during, or after the overfeeding.

(Nigel Williams) #6

Cheers for the answers, your suppositions look plausible, I almost paid for the paper then decided $40 was too much, although tempted by the $25 for a weeks access to everything.

Yes, I can’t find a free version either. Perhaps because it is such an old study? (1995)

I find this one far more interesting (2012):

Carbohydrate overfeeding for 3 wk induced a >10-fold greater relative change in liver fat (27%) than in body weight (2%). The increase in liver fat was proportional to that in DNL. Weight loss restores liver fat to normal. These data indicate that the human fatty liver avidly accumulates fat during carbohydrate overfeeding and support a role for DNL in the pathogenesis of NAFLD. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/4/727.full