Fat Fueled Gold!

(Karl L) #1

I don’t race very often, but like to participate in the Delaware Senior Olympics Road Race every year. This past Saturday I was fortunate enough to take the Gold for my age group (55-59)! All my training (actually just fun rides on road/grave/trail) for the past five months have been keto, and since the race was only 40k I wouldn’t have had to worry about fueling even if I were still a carb burner.

The race was fun; I raced smart (kept my nose out of the wind for the most part). I was with a group of about 25 and went with a break away with about 2 miles to go, and had plenty of power left for a nice strong finish! The weird part was that the Senior Olympics race was piggy-backing on another race, so I didn’t really know who my competition was, and didn’t know how I placed until about 30 minutes after the end. But even if I hadn’t placed well, I was very happy with my strategy, effort and improvement.

(Richard Morris) #2

Congrats - nice result :slight_smile:

(Karl L) #3

Thanks Richard. If you had told 48-yr-old Karl what 58-yr-old Karl would be doing on a bicycle, I would have told you had lost your mind!

(Linda Culbreth) #4

Awesome!