Fat from roasting bones

(Carol AnCel) #1

So I roasted bones for broth, when I added the bones to the pressure cooker to cook, I included all that clear fat that was baked out of it There was a LOT of fat. So I am wondering what you all do with all that fat? My broth is totally gelled, and the layer of almost white fat that formed on the top is about a half an inch thick. I hate to toss it, I am adding some back to the broth,

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You can probably skim it off and save it to cook with. If it’s pork fat, it’s lard; if beef, then it’s tallow.

(Bob M) #3

I just made beef broth, and we kept the fat to cook with.

(Carol AnCel) #4

Thank you! Have made gallons of beef broth and this is by far the most fat I have ever seen! Do you keep in the fridge? Clean off where the gel is sticking to the underside?

(Carol AnCel) #5

Did you do anything to it for storage? It does have gel and bits of beef sticking to the underside. Maybe I should heat it up and strain in?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6
  1. No, we keep cooking fats near the stove/range/hob/cooktop (pick your linguistic variant :grin:).

2. Yes. You might want to leave a bit of fat to flavour the broth with, but that’s personal preference.

I keep such fat in the fridge personally but I use very little added fat and I have cats who tend to walk in places I don’t want them to…
My cooking fat usually comes from frying/roasting meat (oh that is amazing, huge flavor! I mostly eat pork. and I LOVE lard with little fried meat pieces) but I have fat from soups (various kinds of meats) too. Either way, it’s not very clear fat but it’s quite fine.
When I get the little fat from a not so fatty soup, a significant amount of liquid/gel comes too. I heat my cup I keep the fat in then I let it cool down and later I can easily separate the fat layer from the liquid part. If I had some super fatty and more jellied soup, I probably could get off it better to begin with.

I leave just a tiny fat in my soups as for some reason I prefer not very fatty soups. I prefer fatty meat but soups are different :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #8

If you wanted it cleaner, I assume you could heat it up (mine is nearly solid at room temp) to liquefy it and then strain it.

I used marrow bones, as that’s the only thing I could find. Not a lot of meat on them.

Next time, I’m going to get the marrow out. This time, I just tossed all the bones.

(Pete A) #9

Eat it.

(Bob M) #10

Yeah, I just ran out of time. It was the end of Sunday after a long weekend of doing house work.

By the way, has anyone ground the bones to bone meal to use as fertilizer? That’s what this says the original pressure cookers were used for:

(Carol AnCel) #11

This is all from marrow bones. :slight_smile: And I did make sure to get all that marrow into my broth. It’s so rich!

(Carol AnCel) #12

I do all my broths in the pressure cooker. So fast and easy. I have not ground them up. I did read all about it, even saved a bunch of bones, but just never did it. Would be curious just how hard it was to do.

(Polly) #13

I make broth from chicken and duck carcases and pigs trotters (when I can get them) I use the fat that rises to the surface of the broth for cooking other things. I never use oil for cooking anymore.

(Bob M) #14

I’ll have to do that (put the marrow into the broth) next time. Or maybe cook the bones for a while, turn off the Instant Pot, take out all the marrow, and put the marrow and bones back in.

The next time I do this, I might try 2 hours in the Instant Pot, take the marrow out (either for me or back into the broth – maybe part for me, part in the broth?), then go another 4 hours in the Instant Pot. See what the bones look like. Could they be ground? Or are they still too hard?