Fat, Fat and more Fat with a little rant :)

fat

(Veronica Osoria) #1

Hello everyone it’s been a while since I posted here! Hope you’re all doing well. Now let’s talk fat! I can control my ketones with no problem. I purchased a Keto Mojo and have learned what raises them what lowers them, I track everything. Now on to the hubby…lesigh…I AM HOPELESS!!! :skull_and_crossbones:

He has to intake a total of 202g of fat, I provide him breakfast (he refuses to take MCT oil or add fatbomb), he buys lunch and I make dinner. Our fat intake is very different, mine is 107g. I can easily meet my goal but am having problems with him. I make him a heavy fat breakfast, pancakes with butter, eggs scrambles in butter, sausage fried in butter lol lunch everyday he has a subway salad with mayo (no olive oil lord knows why) and tons of cold cuts in it. Then dinner whatever I cook which is either in bacon fat, ghee, or butter.

How can I help him meet his fat goal. I need to get him back to ketosis and it is killing me that I cant. He has lost 45lbs already and I don’t want him to give up on keto. HELP!

(Karen) #2

Lower keto values if fat adapted are not uncommon. Fat to satiety, not as a target to hit. Had he stalled?

K

(Candy Lind) #3

You’re certain he’s not in ketosis? If he’s limiting carbs & not eating too much protein, he should still be in ketosis even if he’s not making his fat macro.

Have you recalculated his macros since he’s lost the 45 pounds? His protein requirement has gone down. If he’s eating the same amount he started with, that may be your answer right there.

(Veronica Osoria) #4

Yes he has. We arent’ sure what to do.

(Veronica Osoria) #5

Yes we have calculated his new macros. Blood test read .7 for the past few days.

(Lonnie Hedley) #6

Nutritional ketosis is .5-3. So at .7 he’s still in ketosis.

(Veronica Osoria) #7

OH! So he is good anywhere between .5 - 3 ? no glasses sorry everything looks jumbled lol He gets upset because my readings are always higher lol

(Lonnie Hedley) #8

I don’t belief there is any evidence that says a higher number means faster weight loss.

However, there is good evidence that a higher number indicates your body isn’t using ketones effectively.

As others have mentioned fat is not a goal, it’s there to provide your body a fuel source in the absence of carbs. The absence of carbs is what puts your body into ketosis.

(Veronica Osoria) #9

He is telling me that he has read ultimate fat burning is 1.5-3 and that is where he wants to be…lord help me…what do you think of that?

(Katie) #10

Is this a special keto pancake recipe?

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

I think “show me the science” because there is nothing I’ve seen that supports that.

(Veronica Osoria) #12

He said thanks! He was just sharing what hes read lol But I will say this even though the scale isn’t moving I see a difference in his body and how hos clothes fit. Thanks everyone for the help!

(Lonnie Hedley) #13
  1. Stalls happen. Weight loss is not linear.

2. How long has he been stalled?

3. If he’s lost 45 lbs, why would he give up? And what would he do, go back to the way of eating that got him to that 45 lb larger size?

You may want to consider fasting for a day or two to get into ketosis, and then eat in a way that allows it to be maintained. It takes my body two days on clear liquids to go from BG>100 and BK=0 to drop BG<70 and BK>3. I can then use time (feeding windows), food quantity and composition as levers to maintain the desired degree of ketosis.

(Diane) #15

With my BG and ketone testing, I’ve found that ketone levels vary quite a bit throughout the day and many things can affect it. My ketone levels tend to be lowest first thing in the morning.

Controlling my meal timing and when I eat affects my ketones as much or more than what I eat (always keeping my carbs low of course).

I try not to eat within 3 hours after I get up, or within 3 hours before bedtime. I try to keep my meals discrete and eat them within a 60 to 90 minute window. I don’t snack in between. I’ve found this helps me keep my ketone levels above 1.5 most days without changing the kinds of foods I’m eating. I’m doing this to optimize my health and reduce my insulin resistance, not necessarily for weight loss.

Other ways to add fat might be to add extra egg yolks and/or heavy cream to eggs. I also love olives, avocados, pork rinds and cream cheese.

I make:

Hope you find something that helps you and your husband with your goals!

(Kellie) #16

ultimate is between 1.5-3 so Iv read . The first 2 months I was in keto my readings were mostly 1.0 now I’m almost always in the 2’s and the lowest Iv been is 1.8 recently. I’m almost 4 months in keto (down 27 pounds as of today) and this started happening I would say at the 3 month mark where my readings were always high even with slight sugar intake.

Looking at what he eats I would try to switch up foods- it helped me kinda get over a weightloss hump recently. Some foods I suggest (not sure if you guys like) : avocado , almonds ( in moderation) , salami , string cheese, bacon, pork chops . Also I would say cut out the mayo ,it has sugar in it (might not be a huge deal breaker but again switch up is key). I use primal kitchen brand avocado vinaigrette and it has no carbs and 15 g fat in 2 tablespoons so I lather my salads in that. Another thing I suggest is try fasting - have him skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner with no food/snacks in between. I eat at noon and then again at 6 and that’s it . If he likes coffee make him coffee with heavy cream ( if he likes sugar put stevia in it also) .