Fat Fasting Newbie

(Lindsey Caudle) #1

Hey there keto peeps!

I’ve been at a weight loss stall for over a month now and have decided to give a fat fast a try.

What I’m curious about is the caloric restriction (1000-1200). I weigh 353lbs and I’m wondering if that is too few calories or if I’m just trying to get a free pass to eat more :joy:

Has anyone got experience with fat fasting? Do you have experience with higher or lower amounts of calories than the recommended 1000-1200?

Any info is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

hope this answers, Fast then Feast, do not restrict at feed time

(Kristin) #3

Yeah, I find my fast will usually be more successful if I eat a big, high fat meal before I begin a fast.

After you end a fast, start your refeeding slowly. When I didn’t, I got diarrhea.

(MelissaH) #4

I think the OP was interested in advice about a fat fast. Not an EF. Maybe @Ketodaisy can give some insight on this.

(Running from stupidity) #5

Yet another reason we should use better terminology.

(Daisy) #6

Hi there! The idea behind a fat “feast” is that you’re mixing things up, but only for a limited time. You shouldn’t exceed 3 days at that calorie intake to avoid messing up your metabolism. I just did a 5 day egg “feast”. I’m planning to do a fat “feast” soon. Here is a great source of information: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Complete-Guide-to-Fat-Fast

Good luck! (Ps it triggers @juice to call them fasts lol)
pps: love your screen name! Big HP fan!

(Running from stupidity) #7

Only because they’re not fasts, that’s the only reason, I swear :slight_smile:

(Omar) #8

If you have lots of stored fat and you are fat adopted I would not wory about calories restriction as long as you get your electrolytes and water.

(Allie) #9

Why are you wanting to do a fat fast rather than a water fast? It’s my understanding that fat fasts are better suited to people who want to fast but have little bodyfat so need extra dietary fat to get through the fast. If you’re fat adapted and do a water fast then your body will use solely the fat on your body as fuel. I know some people find it easier to ease into water fasting by using a very small amount of fat, such as fatty coffees or just coffees with a small amount of heavy cream, to help reduce hunger while they get used to not eating.

(Lindsey Caudle) #10

Sorry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: everywhere I had read about them online they were calling it a fat fast. Now i know

(Lindsey Caudle) #11

I have been considering one so I can get out of a stall. I’ve been at the same weight for near 6 weeks and had read how this could help. I also wanted to see if a higher fat with lower protein would increase my ketone readings on my blood monitor. Despite the fact I never eat more than 15 whole carbs a day, the highest reading I get it 0.9 to 1.2 and the 1.2 has only been maybe twice in the last 3 months.

I’m working really hard on figuring out what my body needs since it does not seem to want to respond well to the “average” keto plan.

(Allie) #12

Those readings are perfectly fine. Many people never get above 0.5mmol. Higher numbers do not mean more fat loss.

I ahve been IF with some extended fast sprinkled in here and there for about two months now. I have lost zero weight. I work out and eat low carb during my feasts(minus thanksgiving). I am totally confused on why i am not able to lose any weight. I am 35 years old and am trying to get into better health.

(Robert C) #14

Stress can be an issue:

• Do you drink coffee or alcohol?
  • Do you get less than 8 hours of deep sleep each night?
  • Do you workout hard all of the time?
  • Do you workout at all while fasting?
  • Is your job stressful?
  • Are your relationships stressful?
  • Do you skip opportunities for a daily meditation?
  • Do you have a high level of responsibility for ailing or needy relatives?

Any of these with “yes” answers can cause your body to hang on to weight even with applying keto and fasting regimes.

may also be eating to much fat