Fat Fasting Nearly Every Day - Any Concerns?

fasting

(Karen) #1

I’ve been reading about fat fasting. When I look at my history that I track with the Cronometer, it looks like I am fat fasting every day without trying. I’m eating an average of 1100 calories made up of about 50 grams protein, 100 grams fat and 10 grams carbs. My keto calculator suggests that I eat 25 carbs, 80 proteins and 110 fats and 1450 calories. So my natural eating pattern is less on calories, carbs and proteins. I am eating two meals a day with BPC in the morning. Usually an 18:6 IF–again just naturally following my hunger cues.

Any concerns with eating naturally this way? I guess I’m reading that this is a tweak that others make to break through plateaus and not necessarily normal KETO eating. I feel great and am losing weight at about a pound per week.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I think you just answered your own question there. If it works for you, keto on!

(WanderinJack) #3

Hello all,
I’m new and have some questions about Fat Fasting and rather than start a new thread I figure I’d jump in here.

Question: I’m looking at doing a fat fast with +85% fat in an OMAD with~1000 calories. The problem is that when I look online at various fat fast menus they are more like 75%-80% fat. Seems a little light and the likely culprits are the carbs in the avocados and the protein in the bacon, ugh…my two favs. I’d like to see what other menus others have successfully used on a fat fast. I’ve attached a copy of my plan. Thanks for any input.

Background: I’ve been keto since 2014. For me keto is 65%-75% fat. I’ve started 18/6 IF over the summer, moved to 20/4 and now at OMAD in about a 2 hour window and feel great and weight is starting to drop weight.

Although I’ve overcome fatty liver, leaky gut, candida, a rash all over my body and probably a bunch of stuff I wasn’t aware of I have been stuck at 10# above my goal weight (lost about 75#) and still have a little pot belly. I’m thinking fasting is the final solution. Thanks.

(Adam Kirby) #4

Eventually your body will probably get stingy with your energy intake and slow your metabolism, even if you’re drawing on body fat. I think periodic feasting is probably crucial for long-term weight loss success.

(WanderinJack) #5

So what would feastoing look like? 2000 calories?

I think there are two sides to this.

Certainly if you are happy with your weight loss I would be inclined to ride it out until it stops.

I do think there is a little bit of a need to surprise your body and not be overly consistent, that is when your body starts expecting only 1000 calories a day, Megan Ramos is a big supporter of mixing it up, you may want to listen to some of her podcasts

I totally agree with that, based on my experience. I like to mix it up. I also think it’s important to not eat at a deficit all the time. Sometimes you need to go over your TDEE.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

In the recent Obesity Code podcast, the Q&A one, they talked about autophagy being stopped very easily. You might want to give it a listen and decide if you want to change anything to get that benefit or if you are more focused on weight loss at this point.

Otherwise, great success with IFing and losing 1 lb. per week, well done, you.