FAT CONSUMED=FAT YOU (not!). Still trying to get beyond low-carb to keto

conversationstarters
science

(April Edberg) #1

I “looked” healthy :person_frowning: for 30+years, then started gaining weight to total 70 excess pounds over 8 years! This happened even though I was limiting my caloric intake and working out at Orange Theory Fitness, gyms, swimming & more. After years of no explanations from docs, my nutritionist suspected I was insulin resistant (what’s that I thought) and darn it she was right. It was encouraging to find an explanation for some of my weight gain, but disheartening I had so many wasted years being ignorant. And why on earth was she the first person to figure this out for me?

Anyhow, my serum insulin was 17.5 and is now 10.8; I go in for HGBA1C testing this month and am certain that has lowered as well (most recently at 5.4). I will say I was put on Metformin, but a year after that I instituted a low-carb diet. I don’t think I could have made it through the transition without the “2 Keto Dudes” podcast. When I discovered it (ahhhhhhh moment!) there were already some 60 podcasts recorded, so I’d listen to 1 a day to keep me motivated. Plus, the recipes are great. I’m down 21 pounds and feel fantastic. It’s almost easy, but I say that knowing how hard it was for me to find this path. Just last week I attended a pre-diabetic education class at a hospital and couldn’t believe the crap they were shoveling about me being able to have 210carbs/day spread out and that I can’t eat too few carbs because I need energy. Guess what, I prefer my energy to come from MY FAT vs my sugar. It is so sad how 1 diet for all is still promoted. I hadn’t seen any improvement in my health until I restricted myself to <60-70g sugar/day so 210 is absurd for my body. Anyhow, I’m mentally preparing for the inevitable plateau and trying to get my mind wrapped around keto vs. low-carb some more. I think I’m ultimately headed to a keto diet, but at 60-70grams carbs/day I am not there yet and it’s probably just a mental stumbling block from 40 years of being taught FAT CONSUMED = FAT YOU! Can you explain it to me again, tell me the reasons and benefits to go beyond low-carb to ketogenic? Thank you for all the work you do. Your research-based conversations are much appreciated!

(Michelle) #2

Love your story, thanks for sharing.

For me, keto is important for these reasons:

• Disease prevention. So many of the modern diseases are linked to feeding off glucose. Why feed the cancers and the alzheimers with sugar and carbs? no thanks
  • Mental focus and clarity - I’m never tired or sluggish throughout the day, even when my sleep is compromised
  • easy to follow this way of eating

(April Edberg) #3

Thank you for helping (that was my first time writing). You are so right about the mental focus/clarity. Keto on :slight_smile:

You are so lucky to have found someone like this!

It is possible you are already in ketosis at 60-70g of carbs (not just sugar) a day. Most people would feel incredibly bad at under 100-150g unless they were also making ketones. We generally use 20-30g as a starting point to practically guarantee ketosis in a few days in most people.

Do you have a way to test for ketones, even if it’s only the urine strips at this point? A glucose meter would be helpful too, to see how you’re doing on a daily basis between lab tests.

?!?!

Erm… I don’t feel very terrible(though I still felt tired, it is likely that I didn’t get enough sleep instead of the low-carb diet thing)
Or I should say in this way: ever since I tried to follow this low-carb/keto way of eating, actually… I just felt the same. Yeah. Not worse, not better.

(Steve ricci ) #6

It’s the long term sugar damage people do not realize. Its a 20/30 process till your body cam not compensate anymore. This is when the weight gain and health issues start. Its the typical answere that you have. Just have to trust the science