Fat bomb

(Tim Cee) #1

Is there such thing as a gas station fat bomb?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Don’t blow up any gas stations—it makes a real mess. :grin:

(Bob M) #3

There are things to eat. Hot dogs, if they have them. I’ve found pickles, some nuts. Haven’t looked too much more than that, though. And, of course, the prices can be eye-watering.

(Tim Cee) #4

I’m thinking a fat supplement to use during an extended fast.

(Bob M) #5

That might be tricky. I have never looked for one, though.

For these types of things, I often think I have to make them. I do remember getting fat bomb packets, but I can’t remember where. That was back when I ate a lot of fat; now, I eat higher protein, lower fat. So, I haven’t eaten a fat bomb in a while.

If you’re eating fat at 9cals/g you’re not fasting.

That said, if it’s a 7/11 or something they usually have those nut butter pouches.

(Tim Cee) #7

Fat doesn’t bump insulin so while it would be an interruption by some definitions, it would not be the same as a complete refeed. A little fat on day 7 might get me a keto kick and let me go a few more days. I’ve heard of leaner people doing this daily to get the benefit of fasting since they don’t have enough fat to meet daily expenses at a rate of 31c per lb stored fat.

(Bob M) #8

With people just starting out, it’s the opposite problem: you have plenty of fat, but that fat is locked into your fat cells due to higher insulin. Some people can fast easily. I was one of those. If you find yourself not being able to fast due to lack of energy, I’d consider trying Amber O’Hearn’s idea of eating fat first then meat, on the days you eat.

If you twist the definition of fast to mean eating, then no. But in real life yes. Not saying it can’t give you a kick, but that’s also not a fast. Once you eat… you’re not fasting anymore. I’m just not a fan of people repurposing words, I don’t just apply that to fasting. It’s across the board for me.

(Tim Cee) #10

With respect,

Fast 7 days
Eat a spoonful of lard
Fast five more days
By your definition I would be fasting for 12 days total with a momentary period in the middle of not fasting. That’s fine. The important thing is the function. Metabolically, for a person who has limited access to fat reserves based on their rate of harvest can supplement fat to maintain BMR and have the same benefit as if they were able to use only stored fat. But just FYI, words don’t have only one definition or one sense.

Traditionally the word fast is pretty broad. For example, Muslims fast during Ramadan but eat after sunset daily.

Catholics fast weekly by abstaining from meat other than fish on Friday.

Catholics fast by giving up an item of luxury during lent—not always food.

Who’s to say that these practical applications of fasting are wrong because they don’t meet one specific English definition that is much newer than the tradition itself. Even the English language is newer.

Fasting for health isn’t about meeting some arbitrarily strict definition. It’s about accomplishing a goal of metabolic health improvement. As a former academic, I’ve had lots of opportunity to get lost in debates over who’s definition is right. This is the sort of thing lawyers do to win their point without keeping justice in mind. It’s not beneficial. So supplemental fat once per day or once per week is a type of applied fasting but it’s not a strict definition of fasting in a vacuum. Who cares! It has nothing to do with the point.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fasting+definition&client=safari&hl=en-us&ei=9jm6YbjJPJnbtQaX8rGQDg&oq=fasting+definition&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyDQgAEIAEELEDEEYQ-QEyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjoHCAAQRxCwAzoHCAAQsAMQQzoECAAQDToJCAAQDRBGEPkBSgQIQRgAUMoSWNoaYMonaAJwAXgAgAHaAYgBhQaSAQUwLjQuMZgBAKABAcgBEcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#crs=q:Books%20on%20fasting,stick:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgfcRYyy3w8sc9YamSSWtOXmPM4xLwyc8vTs2pDErNSSxJTQnJFxLnYnPNK8ksqRTileLm4tTP1TcwtCw0zBJy5OIOTi0JyffNT8lMqxQyEjLg4vRNzU1KLSr2TxNS5uJyzs_JSU0uyczPExKVEuYS1E-GC-gn5ednF_MsYhVwAjEU8vMU0hKLSzLz0gHZCLAOlQAAAA,cid:overview

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #11

They usually have cheese stick and sausage/meat snacks…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

There are recipes for fat bombs in the Recipes forum. But if you are really asking what keto-friendly snacks you can buy at the gas station, what about pork rinds, jerky, pepperoni, salami, sour cream, unsweetened whole-milk yoghurt, pre-cooked bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and (if they have them) low-carb nuts? Some places even sell hot dogs and hamburgers, which you can certainly buy without the bun. And a lot of these things can be packed in a cooler bag and brought from home, so you can avoid convenience-store prices. (You could also avoid them by stopping in at a convenient supermarket, as well.)

But the real issue is what the reason is for needing to snack. We advise people that if they need to snack, they should go ahead and do so (on something low-carb, of course), but then increase the quantity of food they eat at their meals.

(Tim Cee) #13

The purpose of the snack is to stay metabolically as near as possible to fasted for longer without being over taxed on fat stores. I recently fasted for 7 days zero calories. On the seventh day I felt like my energy took a dive. Im looking for a way to keep going without starting completely over. The reason for the gas station component is that I am in a 50 ton truck 5 consecutive days at a time with no refrigeration and with federally regulated time constraints. I fuel at special locations with no conventional grocery store near by. So, ya, I usually subsist on peanuts, hot dogs, and pork rinds or I just don’t eat.

(Tim Cee) #14

I’ll check. The sour cream might be an option. Good idea.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Yeah, be careful of the peanuts. Almonds would be lower-carb, I believe. But hot dogs and pork rinds are not anything to be ashamed of. Around here (Connecticut and the Hudson Valley) the convenience stores/gas stations that have hot dogs usually also have cooked beef patties, and a microwave to heat them up in.

You could also bring cheese from home. I like cheddar, Jarlsberg, and Brie as keto snacks, though the Brie probably has more lactose and galactose. I also find that, despite their being in refrigerator cases at the store, most cheeses don’t actually need to be refrigerated, especially not the hard, aged ones (and especially because they never last all that long).

If you can work your schedule to stop at a truck stop with a restaurant, one of my most favourite diner meals is steak and eggs, with sides of bacon and sausage, hold the toast, hold the potatoes. It’s tasty, filling, and gives a lot of nutritional bang for the buck, actually. At a local coffee shop near my home, my favourite is a bacon, egg, and cheese burger with sausage. Again, I have them hold the bun and the fries (necessary, because when I forget to tell them, I tend to nosh on the fries).

(Tim Cee) #16

So am I way off base in thinking that I can stay in a mostly fasted state by having a little bit of clean fat or do I really need to re-feed and start over when I start to feel that energy dip?

(Tim Cee) #17

Dipping cheese in hot wax pasteurizes the surface and seals it from contamination.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

There is the concept of the “fat fast,” in which people who are too lean to fast comfortably get a bit of fat to keep them going. I’d suggest doing what feels best for your body, and not worrying about what to call it, or whether the rest of us will approve. If it’s a small amount of fat, I believe it will not interrupt autophagy or trigger the famine reflex.

(UsedToBeT2D) #19

Butter?

(Laurie) #20

I assume you mean a gas station with a small convenience store/snack bar attached.

Cream cheese is high in fat and low in carbs and protein. (Moreso than peanut butter.) Make sure it’s full fat, unflavored, and in brick form, because the low-fat, flavored, and spreadable versions contain more carbs.

I second the butter suggestion. They might have real butter packets (for bagels, etc.), or they might sell quarter-pound sticks of butter.