Fat Adapted is a RELATIVE Term - Fat Oxidation Rate Challenge

It seems to me that most persons consider “fat adapted” to be the state that one is in once the initial carb withdrawal symptoms subside after the first few days in ketosis.

However, I think that “fat adapted” is a term that must be used relative to an activity level. It is pretty easy, actually, to be fat adapted to surfing the couch or doing normal daily activities. If you train strenuously then you will be constantly hitting the point where your body requires more energy than it can provide itself. You have not eaten carbs and have sustained continuous ketosis, so you know that your energy is coming from fat. The problem is that you have not built up your body (mitochondria etc.) to handle the fat burning that you require. You will have carb withdrawal (aka keto flu) as long as you push your heart rate above your traditional “fat-burning” zone…

Hard trainers who are new to ketosis can have keto flu on and off for months and perhaps take a year to be fat adapted to their activity level.

I have had very clear keto flu symptoms almost every time that I push the intensity. Electrolytes can take me only so far.

Has anyone had similar thoughts?

I think that mitochondrial biogenesis is a big factor is later phases of keto-adaptation as well as the switching of muscle from burning ketones to fatty acids directly.

While the muscles are still burning ketones, your energy expenditure is limited by ketogenesis in the liver, but when they burn fatty acids, they have access to something already floating around just waiting to be used.

Very compelling perspective. Mitochondria have a half-life ranging from 5 days to 30 days, depending on what type of tissue. So, the body needs to regenerate its mitochondria supply, as well as create more, in growth mode. There are rate limiting steps to the regeneration/growth of mitochondria, including telomere health(or damage) and AMPK efficiency. With age, telomere damage increases, preventing faster replication/creation of mitochondria, and less endurance to allow AMPK activation through ischemia, hypoxia or heat stress.

I would think it would be wise to concentrate on improving telomere health (i.e. less telomere damage), to facilitate fast and efficient replication/rejuvenation/creation of mitochondria.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #4

Are there any steps one can take to minimise telomere damage?

How long did it take you to get into fat adaptation? I know I am doing everything right and have stalled for 4 weeks after my water loss.

(Scott) #6

It took me about three month to have any energy to run, I even had to walk (gasp)

The way i see it is that u will never be able to have the same explosive performance from ur muscles as they prefer glucose over ketones for it. U can build up the efficiency over the months and become better at it but never on the same level as on carbs. Anything low intensity tho is very easy to do hours upon hours due the near limitless energy supply without becoming hungry or tired. Those are my experiences from both sides of the fence.