Fat adapted finally?

(Rachel) #1

I just finished six weeks on Keto. I have been strict about keeping my net carbs below 20, and the last week or so, I’ve given up on logging every wretched morsel I stick in my mouth (tired of that drudgery).

Yesterday, I had a little breakfast. Late in the afternoon, I had two tablespoons of butter mixed with monkfruit and vanilla extract. Before bed, I had a handful of pecans. It’s almost 4 pm now, and I’ve not eaten yet. I feel a little hunger, and don’t have a whole lot of interest in eating. (Though as I type this and am thinking about food, I seem to be stimulating my appetite.)

I’ve noticed a subtle increase in energy. I’m not flopping on the couch for a nap every day like I used to.

Whatcha think?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

It sounds like you’re doing great. Many people seem to lose appetite temporarily, when it becomes an issue you’ll know it’s time to eat for sure. Congratulations on the new sustained energy levels.

(Alec) #3

I think you’re learning the subtle art of hunger beautifully. Learning to really listen to your body is very important on keto.

:clap::clap::clap:

Are you fat adapted yet? The process has started but it usually takes 6-12 months to complete the journey. But you are doing well if your hunger is low.

(Carl Keller) #4

I’d say if you experience this lack of hunger along with consistent energy for more than a few days, then your body is perfectly content using your body fat for most of its energy needs. That means being fat adapted. Maybe it’s not quite 100% but it’s well enough that when you fast, you will burn some body fat.

It was also around my 6th or 7th week that I started feeling like you are now. I know it takes others much longer but I feel like my degree of insulin resistance was not as bad as most people’s.

Just go with the flow of your hunger and keep making the right response. I will say that I didn’t have to make fat a part of my every bite of food at this point. I was able to cut down on nuts, butter and dairy in general, without it affecting my hunger one bit. I just started eating meals consisting of a fatty protein along with a cup or two of buttered vegetables or a salad. This was more than enough to fufill my hunger while still burning body fat.

Sounds like it! Might want to see for the next couple of days. Increased energy levels and decreased appetite were signs of fat adaptation for me.

(Scott) #6

As your body learns to fuel with fat it is a ongoing evolution but it sounds like you are well on your way.