Fat adapted but still having headaches

(Dawn Ellis) #1

I have been following a fairly strict Keto diet since the middle of December. I know I am pretty much always in ketosis as I check my glucose and ketones regularly.

I am having headaches like when I started. I add salt to my food, and seltzer water. Does anyone have any ideas of other causes aside from low sodium?

Thanks,

(Tropical Fast) #2

Try a sugar free electrolyte supplement in your water a couple times a day. And chia seeds for extra magnesium. They sell it on Amazon. I can’t remember what it is called. Also, are you getting enough sleep?

(Carl Keller) #3

Hi Dawn.

Are you getting 2+ teaspoons of salt over the course of your day? Getting some salt and getting enough are not the same thing.

(Dawn Ellis) #4

Never enough sleep … sigh …

(Dawn Ellis) #5

I salt all my food and I add it to my fizzy drinks (that being seltzer water). I don’t know that it would add up to 2 teaspoons. I had wean myself off my blood pressure meds but my blood pressure has gone back up also so I don’t know if that’s a contributing factor.

As an adult, the times I have experienced bad headaches it mostly coincided with higher blood pressure, it can definitely be a factor.

(Bunny) #7

What do your glucose numbers look like?

On average e.g. do they swing from high to low or do they remain steady? Do you take them before and after you eat?

Knowing that information would most likely explain the source of your headaches! i.e. your personal threshold for tolerating lower blood glucose which in turn if they are too low can cause headaches because your still adapting to lower external glucose intake verses your liver producing enough glucose to sustain your brain as the ketones that are floating around in your blood (if they are real high?) are not really (partially) being used by the brain yet for fuel?

Eating a little bit of protein at the onset of the headache might relieve it!

(Dawn Ellis) #8

I think it was BP related as it seems to have settled. I am trying to get more salt in still.

(Dawn Ellis) #9

I am not usually lower than the low 80’s so I don’t think that is it.

HI @DSE ! Is there any chance headaches might be from hormone imbalance? I only ask because, 1) I used to get pretty awful headaches
2) The fat you are losing releases a pretty potent hormonal soup into your system. I just ended up with a doozy last night and still have it. Timing is everything for us ladies…so I’m pretty confident that its hormones.

While the sodium, potassium, magnesium triad are important and lack thereof can be culprits of headaches, hormones could be playing a role as well. Just a thought.

(Dawn Ellis) #11

Don’t know, I suppose it could be but things are better now, so I am thinking I came off BP meds to quickly.