Fasting while Sick

(Richard Hanson) #1

Science?

I am in week 19 and I am sick for the first time, just a cold. I have been fasting two days a week for months, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but this week I broke my fast on Tuesday evening and I, well I, I ate a lot of food. I also ate yesterday, Wednesday.

So, pre-keto, I would eat a lot whenever I was ill and I think I just fell back into that behavioral pattern without a rational reason. I was concerned, or at least I was rationalizing, that it might not be the best idea to fast while sick.

The obvious question … is there any science, one way or the other, that would indicate that we should not fast when sick or that we should fast when sick. Anecdotally, I understand that some animals species will fast when sick.

Keto for Life!

Most Respectfully,
Richard

Not sure about studies or science, but common sense leads me to think that it’s good to give your body less to do (digestion, assimilation) while it’s working on the infection. Most of the fasting recommendations from pre-industrial doctors and healers were along the lines of “don’t eat and you’ll get better.”

(CharleyD) #3

Dr Fung’s stance is the same as Hippocrates and others is that it is instinct to not eat while sick.

No need to eat if you aren’t hungry.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The old saying was, “Feed a cold and starve a fever,” which supports the idea that your appetite picks up when you have some types of illness, and goes down with other types. I was strongly reminded of this saying back in October, when I came down with a respiratory infection. At first, my appetite picked up, but when the fever started, I lost interest in food.

Whether that’s a bodily signal that should be followed or not is a whole different question. I think I came to the conclusion that while feverish I should probably eat something, so that the body had resources to fight the infection.

(Richard Hanson) #5

Thanks for the responses.

At a minimum, I should not gorge.

Best Regards,
Richard

(Jack Brien) #6

Just musing but, with a cold surely you’ll be using vit C at a faster rate and that would need replacing

(Nicole Sawchuk) #7

I typically fast through illnesses. I have small children or germ factories and it feels like I am always fighting off their bugs. Since adding fasting, I have never been bed ridden because of it and I think I recover faster. But listen to your body. There will be times where it just is not possible and that’s okay.

(Richard Hanson) #8

I am felling better today, and thanks for the help.

Next time I get a cold I am going to fast just to gain a better understanding. My wife is a director of a pre-school and I could just take a few days and hang out with all the mobile germ factories until I get sick. Then again, Mrs. Hanson might be inclined to just end my days if I did that and then I would never get sick again, I would never know. Prudence would dictate choosing a less hazardous approach. :wink:

Keto for Life!

Thanks,
Richard

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #9

I go by this.

Wishing you a fast recovery!