Fasting tips needed for a newbie

(Tara) #1

I did my first extended fast last month- 60 hours. Tough for me. This time I want to go 72 hours. I’m also at a stall so I hope this fast will help.
I just “feasted” or ate more calories (all keto of course) than usual for the last 2 days to help prepare for the fast and I always take a multivitamin.
I don’t get headaches, or dizziness. But my stomach is growling bad and I’m cold!! :disappointed: I guess it doesn’t help that its winter in North Dakota. I’m sure I have enough body fat to do this. I’m 5’1 and 139lbs.
Why does it seem so easy for others and not so much for me?

(Donna ) #2

Hot water (or hot tea) with pink himalayan salt helps my empty tummy rumbles.

I get in a very hot bath and stay there until I’m too hot, and it seems to last for hours.

(Liz ) #3

Fasting is no fun for me but I can get through it because I know it’s therapeutic. I have about 25 or 30 pounds of fat to work with. I do 46 or 70 hour fasts weekly. Totally agree with what @PugsDigMusic said above about salt and hot baths, I need those when I fast, especially the baths in winter. I saw Brenda recommend sparkling water for the loud stomach so I started incorporating that.

I think everyone has different levels of discomfort while fasting and it’s different for me each time I fast. I don’t love fasting but it’s worth it to lower insulin levels and allow my body to release more fat. I’ll just offer encouragement and cheer you on!

(Tara) #4

Thank you for the replies and the hot water with salt idea! That is helping right now. :+1:
Weekly extended fasts? Wow that’s awesome! Some day I hope to work up to that.