Fasting schedule?

(Mark Anthony Spiteri) #33

That’s great! Good luck on your journey :slight_smile:

(Alex Dipego) #34

Ketosis is protein sparing. Once adapted to it your glucose needs are 30-40g rather than the 100-120g needed on a SAD. That being said your lactic acid build up along with glycerol breakdown from your triglycerides provide a decent amount of glucose which putting in the added protein you eat saves muscle from actually deteriorating.

The feeding window is based on a study shoring very little changed based on an anabolic signal from working out. Being high fat is anabolic. Fasting is anabolic with increased production of growth hormone which shows build up during a fast. Not eating in that window actually could help with weight loss when adapted because your FFAs and ketones are providing you with the energy for repair and recovery.

Thank you. I uncovered some guidelines after playing with my search string that sound promising, so I’ll be working two 24-36 hour fasts into each week for a while and watching to see if it helps with my pains and/or skin issues!
Everyone here is amazingly supportive!
Happy New Year

(johnaustin454) #37

Be careful @Chris262. Don’t try doing a fast until you are fat adapted.

(Chris McRoberts) #38

You know, it was fine until I ate,then I was just starving . Probably lay off the fasting for a bit

(Brian Miller) #39

What do you consider a 36hr fast(1day or 2 day)? Mainly what do most people consider the cutoff for each day (is it every completed 24hr span)?

(Becky Searls) #40

I actually just always find that to be to true in a 24 hour window! If I hold off eating until dinner I’m fine but if I “break the seal” so to speak I want to eat all day…I’m sure it’s more psychological than physiological…maybe even just social as I’m also a teacher and know that around 3:30 the stresses out hunt for chocolate tends to begin lol.
Good luck @Chris262 -how has it been going for you? Oh and weird but a fun ps-once you graduate to longer fasts the eating a lot thing is gone. My first 5 day fast I was SO excited to chow down after and could only eat a little.

Starting a 72 hour “fast” but will have black coffee and occasional bone broth. Is this still a fast?

(Alex Dipego) #42

Technically no, but everyone has a different outlook.

The bone broth has protein which would break it, coffee technically breaks a fast but it’s splitting hairs there. If you need bone broth than you need it. Fasting is a tool that allows the body to clean your systems out and help brain function.

Your goals define how you should use it, and what level of health you’re at.

(Scott Shillady) #43

There are many different types of fasts

fasting 101 This is a quick overview for fasting for beginners

I personally have a tbs of butter or coconut oil in my coffee when I fast. I fast to promote autophagy and drive my insulin down, so I don’t take in any protien or carbs during a fast. Many use bone broth for electrolytes. I drink lots of Keto-aide

My goal with fasting is to lower my fasting blood glucose. I didn’t think about the bone broth having protein thanks for the information.

(Alex Dipego) #45

In that case some sort of electrolyte source could be used if necessary (light headed). The thing about fasting blood glucose really can waiver in the beginning before adaptation. Once adapted glucose needs go down thus roaming glucose goes down.

Light headedness was my concern. Been LCHF for 9 mo and have done IF frequently. This is my first 3 day “fast” I was chicken to go water only… hope to next time…I want the benefits!

(Joel Abdul) #47

@Staci_Bates Good luck with your fast! Hows it going so far?

Im 16 hours in a planned 48 hour fast. I use coffee, bone broth, and fat as needed and try not to rely on it. But i’m sort of with you… a bit “Chicken” to go water only.

lol

(Alex Dipego) #48

Honestly that’s a huge jump to physically hit. Not everyone can jump into a fast that hard without working their way up to it. Just a forewarning.

I ended my fast tonight it was 48 hours. I think I just enjoy intermittent fasting more than the longer fasting. Maybe I’ll give it a go again in a week or two.

Good luck with yours as well!

(Joel Abdul) #51

I agree, I do like IF better. But for me longer fasts have been extremely helpful, especially around the holidays.

(Robin) #52

Can you give me the name of the FB group?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #53

IDMprogram.com
I work for them. Check out our many fasting protocols.

Also, search “Zorn Fast” in this forum. A new one starts next week!