Fasting overnight low blood glucose - why no glucose-sparing?

I’ve been eating a ketogenic diet for around 9 months now and in the past couple of months finally feel like I have adapted to this way of eating, since hypoglycaemic symptoms have gone away and I recover faster from exercise (often no muscle pain!) than when eating a typical diet. However, I’ve noticed that for the past week my blood glucose when waking has been between 3.1-3.4mmol/L (56-61mg/dL) when previously it was always 3.7-4.4 (67-79), so lower than most on here but not dramatically so. The only change has been introducing 2-3 hours of moderate-intensity exercise a week for the past 3/4 weeks. Could the fall in average fasting glucose be from greater glycogen depletion? Since I have no symptoms of hypoglycaemia at a blood glucose of 3.1mmol (56) I presume FFAs and ketone concentrations must be sufficient for my needs, therefore is there any chance this poses any danger?

One thing I’m not sure about is why I have not developed adaptive glucose sparing resulting in increased fasting glucose like many others eating similarly? I believe one of the features of Dave Feldman’s LMHR phenotype is adaptive glucose sparing along with lower ketone levels (sadly I cannot measure this) and I fit all the other parameters, so I’d be interested if anyone else has had a decrease, rather than an increase in fasting glucose, and why this might be, along with whether you think there could be any danger if glucose gets too low (I think there are studies that have concluded no danger as long as FFAs and ketone levels are sufficient)?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

I started with significant dawn effect FBG ~130mg/dL and even after fasting 26+ hrs BG ~103 mg/dL. Finally it is going down 95, 85, 80 and now yesterday 49+ hrs fasted and 77mg/dL. I want mine to go lower so that I can more easily benefit from fasting autophagy and reduced BP.

I guess it comes down to how you feel. I’m following this post now because I am interested in other people’s opinion and experiences.

(Mary) #3

How’s it going? I have been searching through posts to see how others are doing in regards to fasting glucose numbers. My brother is experimenting with extended fasting to bring his numbers down. My numbers are stable but range from 95-110 (12-16 hrs fasted) to 125 after a meal, but never higher. I’ve been keto 8 months. My HbA1c was 5.1, so I’ve been told in other groups not to worry about my fasted numbers. I’ve read the articles on dawn phenomenon and I’ve checked my glucose in the middle of the night and it was still in the 100s. I’m guessing I am dealing with some insulin resistance. I have no idea what my numbers were before starting keto. I came across your response to this post and I am curious since it’s been about 2 weeks how you are doing now?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Mary,

I’m measuring ketones and BG mostly while fasting and I’m seeing some good improvements but even when fasted 71hrs the numbers are 80ish BG (mg/dL). I do 1 to 2 EF / week and most recently did a 72 hr fast. I suspect that as I lose more weight and continue to teach my body that I don’t need carbs my FBG will come down a little and my ketones will go up fasted.

Here are the numbers

Note in the chart the 3/12 reading was within 15 minutes of waking up. So my dawn value was 102. Even after being awake for several hours 6 or 12 months ago would have been >110 and likely 120 to 130. Yea - improvements. This shows the value of keto WOL, losing weight and time.

A A1c of 5.1 means that your average BG is 100 mg/dL which includes post meals. That seems reasonable. Mine was 5.3 with my most recent dr visit. I suspect that in 6 months mine will be much better. A1c assumes your red blood cells live 3 months. Some people’s live longer and some shorter. I’m hoping to get mine to 5.0 or lower as I approach my goal weight (many more lbs to go)

https://professional.diabetes.org/diapro/glucose_calc

I probably will measure my dawn values this week. But I don’t want to measure too much because of the ketone strip costs. I’m in this for the duration of my life so I’m becoming a patient person.

I’m sure I have more to say but I just woke up and need to get ready to go to the gym. Thanks for checking with me.

Eric

(Mary) #5

Thanks for the quick response! Good Luck, and God Bless!