Fasting is kind of scary to me

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #21

Thanks Daddyoh :slight_smile: Im going to see how it goes Monday. My last meal Sunday morning, is going to be a nice BIG hamburger, with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, mayo, cheese, on a big Keto bun :slight_smile:

Oh, and here’s another train of thought… What if I get to 1 pm or 4pm or whatever, I’m just a super hungry, grumpy mess… But instead of saying, "To hell with it, and having a full blow meal, I just have a couple 50 calorie fat bombs ? I mean I KNOW these will totally satiate me, but will that negate any benefits I will have had from a complete fast the rest of the day ???

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #22

Jump over here when you are fasting. Lots of support August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome) and a new thread each month.

People have different reasons for fasting:

• get better at it
  • lose weight
  • health benefits
    • less insulin
    • autophagy (old cell repair/destruction)

At a high level: You can consume some fat and still lose weight and get better at fasting. The health benefits get harder or impossible if you consume anything with calories.

Most seasoned fasters consume nothing more than salt or electrolytes, black coffee, green tea and or water. I do seltzer water. I have measured my blood glucose and it does not change at 30, 60, 90, 120 mins post seltzer water.

Stay busy.

Are you fat-adapted? How long have you been keto? If you are new to this way of life it may be harder to fast for significant periods of time because your body is used to and expecting blood glucose.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #23

Well, since I’ve heard that fat adaption is not an all at once thing, but gradual, Id say that going on 3 months, with zero cheats, I’m getting close.

BTW, as much of a coffee freak as I am (I drink nearly the equivalent of a full pot every morning} I can’t… Or, should I say, in the past, with my old eating habits, could not drink coffee “without first eating breakfast”. It has always made me feel shaky, and sick to my stomach. Maybe with my new Keto WOE it might be different ? I might try a small, lighter version of my normal 22oz, double strength mug and see what happens…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

3 months should be long enough. You might want to break habits. Drink some coffee out of a different cup. Or just wean yourself of coffee for a few days before fasting. I drink coffee all the time without food but I also don’t make it very strong.

Do post in the other thread and seek advice there about your fast before you start and in the middle of it.

I just broke a 44 hr fast Wednesday night and will do a 72 hour one starting Sunday after dinner.

(Marianne) #25

I had zero cheats, too, and ate really well (clean, nice fats, etc.), was losing weight, but I was shocked that it took me four months to notice a definite difference in my energy level when doing strenuous, sustained activity.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #26

Well, I have kind of a weird, and maybe unique situation when it comes to energy level…
I think this is due to my Fibromyalgia and maybe some overlapping Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m doing much better now, than i was for most of my life up until 11 years ago… And even since my back injury 5 years ago, I’ve kept a lot (80% ?) of my FM symptoms at bay.

But here’s the thing, 5 years ago, people would have probably looked at me and thought I was ready to climb a mountain with a 40 lb pack, at the drop of a hat… But that was only partly true. Usually I would start out feeling like I could barely force my to walk… Weak… no energy ? But 10 or 20 minutes in, once I had my adrenaline pumping, I’d feel like Super Man. Weird, right ? Or another thing, at my work, I’d have to climb stairs pretty often… But even after I had turned my health completely around, lost all the fat and gained a bunch of muscle, it was hard to get myself started up a set of stairs… Not enough time to get my adrenaline going ?

Long story short… Even now, going on 4 months of Keto, my burst energy sucks, but once I get myself warmed up, I feel like my endurance is close to what it was before Keto.