Fasting help please

(Carpe salata!) #41

I don’t think you can get deficient in calcium in a few weeks , we have huge reserves of calcium and its maintenance is a long term project. Potassium I’m not so sure, but if you use some lite-salt (50/50 sodium and potassium) that should be ok especially if you feel well. I think feeling ok is a very good guide and you said you’re pretty cruisey so far.

(Alex) #42

good suggestion! i’ve heard that taking too much potassium through supplementation can potentially be dangerous, but a little lite-salt during a fast probably couldn’t do too much harm, especially since i’m not getting any potassium through food (obviously). maybe i’ll pick some up tomorrow to have just in case for this current fast as well as other fasts down the road. as long as i’m feeling good for now though, i suppose i’ll just stick with supplementing magnesium and sodium, and continue to let my body chow down on its fat reserves :smiling_imp: i’ll post a final update once i do decide to end my current fast, as well as my overall assessment of it, just in case anyone cares. thank you for all of your help thus far! you’ve been very informative and i sincerely appreciate it :+1:

(Carpe salata!) #43

Sounds good. Potassium is one thing we have to be very respectful of. I’m not an electrophysiologist, but potassium levels can affect how the heart operates. I use the lite-salt sparingly, more than that I would read up on reputable advice e.g. Dr Jason Fung - The Obesity Code

I’ll look out for your write-up!

(Alex) #44

i keep reading on different threads on this site that extended fasting can potentially cause gallbladder issues if you do it for too long. is that accurate?? people are also saying that for your first fast ever, you shouldn’t go past a day or two. both of these things are making me consider ending my fast tonight at 72 hours, even though i’m still feeling good and would like to go longer, because now i’m slightly paranoid lol

(Alex) #45

final update: i just ended my fast after 72 hours. i still did not feel hungry, but decided that there would be no huge benefits, for myself, at least, from extending it past this point. to break it, i consumed a combination of bone broth, mct oil, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. i heard these are all great to consume to break a fast / transition back into eating food. i’m feeling great at this point, and once this digests, i plan on eating some avocado, eggs, salad with olive oil, and black olives, as my first actual meal back. my overall assessment of my first fast ever is that it went extremely well, and was well worth it! i was able to maintain sufficient energy and feel good throughout it, without even thinking about food, or feeling hungry at any point. the two main differences that i definitely noticed about myself throughout this fast (especially between hours 36 and 72) were 1: that my mood was significantly better than usual. i’m a pretty jolly guy naturally, but during my fast, i literally felt so good/happy/euphoric that it genuinely felt like i was high on drugs. pretty amazing. and 2. i had significant increased mental clarity. i felt focused in more-so than usual on everything around me. i thoroughly enjoyed this fast, it actually felt pretty easy. i’m planning on maybe starting to do them once or twice a month, in increments of 48-72 hours. i don’t see myself going past 72 hours at any point down the road, as i don’t see a need for it. THANK YOU AGAIN to everyone who was a part of this thread and helped me to get through my first fasting experience. you all helped me out a TON by providing me with information and support throughout, and i really sincerely appreciate it!! much love, everyone :v:

(Alex) #46

final final update: my first meal is starting to set in, and it feels f****** glorious. such a huge rush of euphoria right now lol

(Carpe salata!) #47

Thanks for the write-up! Congrats on your first fast and interesting to hear the positive benefits. I also noticed some euphoric feelings at times. I felt it was a taste of the spiritual fasting benefits noted in some literature.
I think 3-days gets you some positive benefits according to many writers. I have done four 5-day fasts and I think the health benefits are subtle but powerful. Great start @adp :slight_smile:

So, is their a list somewhere of what breaks a fast? I’m guessing anything you have to chew is a given. But what about things like, sugar free jello (wishful thinking) heavy cream apple cider vinegar in water, tea ,coffee, pickle juice? or anything else you would drink. -Thanks

Did you find any multivitamins that don’t have all the junk in them? Also how do you copy parts of other people’s posts and include it with your reply

(Lonnie Hedley) #50

Haven’t even looked. Not that concerned.

Highlight text, choose “Quote.

(Mike W.) #51

It depends on your goal of fasting. There is no definitive evidence but only taking water/salt during a fast guarantees you won’t.

Cool thanks

(Alex) #53

thanks peter! i follow some of thomas delauer’s youtube videos, and in one of them pertaining to fasting, he talks about how, based on studies, after fasting for 24 hours, there is a 300% increase in autophagosomes present in the body, which is pretty incredible. and after 48 hours, there is an additional 30% increase, bringing that total up to 330%, BUT, after the 48 hour mark, they slowly start to decrease, which would ultimately suggest that the benefits of fasting become limited after 48 hours. he suggested that that amount of the time is the sweet spot and gives you the best bang for your buck, which is why i decided to cut mine off at 72 hours. when you do your five day fasts, are water and salt the only things you consume?

(Lonnie Hedley) #54

(Alex) #55

of course their next fast is just 4 days after i ended mine xD thanks for the link though! i saw someone else talking about that in a different thread. maybe i’ll tune in and join them for their fast next month

(Lonnie Hedley) #56

Previously you had mentioned wanting to do another fast. 4 days is plenty of time to feast before starting another fast.

Start after your last meal Wednesday night and check in with the group for support. Remember to blur any mentions of food though.

Good luck if you choose to join.

(Alex) #57

yeah i definitely do want to do another! just not quite sure i want to start it up so quickly after my first one. so the ones that are run in that group generally span 96 hours then? 4 full days?

(Lonnie Hedley) #58

No real rules regarding time. It’s just a support group for people fasting at or around that time. Some start earlier, some later. My goal every month is around 90 hours, but I listen to what my body tells me. Sometimes that means 24, 36, 48, etc.

(Alex) #59

awesome! thank you for that info. i do have food in my fridge that i don’t want to spoil haha. maybe if i’m able to finish it all this week, ill do a 48 hour fast from friday to sunday and tune in with you guys!

(Lonnie Hedley) #60

If you pop by the thread, you’ll see many posts of people already starting, or unable to start until later because of an event (like food in the fridge). Main thing is that it’s for support. No talking about food though. There are other threads for that.