Fasting help please

(Alex) #21

really? okay, that’s good to know. what about the magnesium? and regarding my first meal back, what would you suggest then? macadamia nuts have been a staple in my diet since i started keto and i haven’t noticed any negative effects from eating them, but i’m open to all suggestions

(Alex) #22

also, i normally take vitamin b and d, and fish oil daily. should i ditch those while fasting?

(Lonnie Hedley) #23

N=1

Enzymes in eggs are supposed to be hard on your stomach after a fast, but once a month I do 48-90 hours and end with eggs. I never have any issues, but everybody is different. I also don’t have any issues digesting macadamia nuts.

(Alex) #24

yeah eggs are usually a daily food for me also. maybe i’ll try that with some bacon once i do decide to eat again. one of my fav combos :drooling_face:

(Lonnie Hedley) #25

Just stay home for an hour after eating in case you need to :poop:.

(Mike W.) #26

I usually just eat a meal like normal. After my 72 hour fast I ate half an avocado and a few slices of bacon and then waited half an hour and then ate a meal. I’ve never had an issue breaking a 24-48 hour fast by just eating normally.

(Mike W.) #27

Oh, and this…lol

(Alex) #28

thanks! ill stick to a small portion of keto food that i’m used to, to start at least. will wait an hour after to see how i feel. and maybe i’ll just ditch all my vitamins aside from the magnesium for now, for tomorrow at least, to avoid potentially breaking my fast with one of them

(Lonnie Hedley) #29

Good luck. KCFO

(Alex) #30

hey all, quick update: i am now 43 hours into my fast and still not hungry. energy is good, and i’m staying plenty hydrated and making sure i’m getting enough sodium and magnesium. i’m considering going for 72 hours and then eating. would this be safe, considering this is my first fast ever, and it wasn’t even planned? would it be smarter to just eat again after 48 hours for my first fast? i’m planning on maxing our at 72 hours no matter what. and if i do go forth with it, is there anything else i should be consuming on day 3 of my fast to make it safer that i maybe didn’t need to consume in these first 43 hours aside from water, sodium and magnesium? for what it’s worth, i have plenty of body fat to work with. thanks for any responses

(Alex) #31

also, and this might be tmi, but i noticed i am pooping straight liquid. that hasn’t happened to me since i started keto and was intermittent fasting. does this normally happen / is it a sign of something bad during an extended fast?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

Nope. You’re fine.

(Lonnie Hedley) #33

All a fast “requires” is hydration to be safe. Adding electrolytes just helps you feel good during the fast. Fasts only get easier the more you do them, not necessarily safer.

Liquid :poop: during a fast has been known to happen. You’re not taking in anything solid, but your body is still creating waste from energy. It makes sense the waste wouldn’t be solid like it is when you’re eating. No worries.

(Alex) #34

thanks!

(Carpe salata!) #35

All good. Just eat when you’re hungry.

I also did my first fast ‘by accident’ after I was sick and throwing up all day. I didn’t want to eat that much and when I was OK I thought hey let’s see how not a eating goes! Just water, no salt at that time.

Thanks for your updates.

(Alex) #36

thanks for the response! can i ask why no salt?

(Carpe salata!) #37

No reason I just forgot. I had used salt when I started OMAD which helped with headache and craving. I just had what I call the ‘low flying’ feeling. That was what I first called it when I was doing paleo. It was like heading for a sugar crash in the carb days, but leveling out to comfortable low-flying.

Later fasts I remembered the salt :slight_smile:

(Alex) #38

good to know. just out of curiosity, how long did you end up going before eating on your first accidental fast? and one more semi-related question: is there a recommmended amount of time someone should wait between fasts? like, once i finish my current one, could i start another one in a few days if i felt up to it? or would it be more advisable to wait a bit longer before starting another fast?

(Carpe salata!) #39

I went 5 days. I just thought I would call it at the end of the week. I heard that 3 to 5 days was the sweet spot. I think that it’s a matter of personal experiment on how to schedule the next one. I believe the danger is having a drop in bmr. I did 5 days, a week break then another 5 days. On that second one, I felt itchy for food most of the time. I figured either wait longer between or suck it up and get better at it. I might give it a week and try it again.

What is working for you?

(Alex) #40

well, this is my first fast ever, but i’m on hour 51 and still feeling great. i’m staying plenty hydrated and getting an appropriate amount of magnesium and sodium. i was planning on capping it at 72 hours and eating at that point, but i might just keep it going if i’m still not hungry and still feeling up to it. my only concern is that i may become deficient in calcium or potassium at some point, since i haven’t supplemented my body with either of those since i last ate on thursday