Fasting & Headaches

(Brent) #1

Hello Everyone!!! So i haven’t fasted for awhile now. The thing i remember the most is the headaches/light headiness. It would be so strong i would be physically dizzy. Day 2 & 3 were the strongest. Sometimes it would be slight on day 4 but not as bad. Anyways, i want to do everything i can to avoid them on this round. I drink a LOT of water so I’ve heard the solution can be plenty of water but that isn’t my problem. I’ve tried putting some salt in the water i drink but can’t handle it (who wants to drink salt water). So i was thinking maybe i would just put some salt under my tongue this time. Any advice on how much? Should i be doing it constantly the whole time or just when i start having symptoms?

I’ve always heard keep your electrolytes up. Is this just salt or other electrolytes? i was just at the store so i decided to pick up some potassium pills. Like salt should i be doing potassium the whole time or just when symptoms happen.

I used to IF and IF on weekdays (only eat one meal a day). Any advice would be appreciated. I prefer a water only fast so i don’t really want to use bone broth.

thanks…

(Candy Lind) #2

You need plenty of salt. However you get it down is good. I take a salt tablet every evening, and some mornings if I don’t think I got enough the day before. Salt regulates the other electrolytes, so if you don’t get enough your body can’t store and use the others properly. Also, an electrolyte drink would help. I use a commercial one, Ultima Replenisher, but HERE is a homemade one that is cheap to make. @Brenda drinks a couple of bottles of that per day when fasting. You can flavor with a bit of lemon or lime juice if you wish. Between salt under the tongue and KetoAide, you should be good to go.

Also - don’t overdo the potassium. You CAN get too much and it leads to bad side-effects.

(Brent) #3

Thanks Candy… Is 1 99mg potassium pill a day to much? What are some of the bad side effects if i start to have to much?

(Candy Lind) #4

It might be. I take one pill about 3-4 times a week when I haven’t been eating avocados (IMO the tastiest & best way to get your K). Too much K will give you heart palpitations. Curiously enough, too little will do the same.

Sounds like you’re going to want to take the salt pills Candy was talking about. I started out taking 2 teaspoons of salt a day 1 in morning and other at night and was still getting headaches.( I put 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of water. It’s not as bad as it was on day1 made the mistake of dumping it straight into my cake hole)
while drinkingi15+ cups of water a day so I bumping my salt up to 3 teaspoons this is my first day of it so I don’t know if it will work. Also I found out that pink salt and sea salt is better than the regular with iodine that I’m currently using. Going to pick some up when I’m out later. How’s your fast going?

(Brian) #6

For me, there is usually a mild headache but I blame it on not having coffee. When I fast, I have nothing but water. I probably would do coffee if I could tolerate it black but I cannot. If it’s not 1/5 to 1/4 HWC and preferably sweetened with a little stevia, I don’t want it at all. So… I usually have a mild headache when I fast.

Did two real short fasts this week, one that was about 18 hours, one that was about 28 hours. No big deal, really. The 18 hour one, no headache. The 28 hour one, which ended with last night’s supper but still no caffeine, saw my mild headache subside shortly after this morning’s coffee. :slight_smile:

I don’t typically take anything for the headache. I do wonder whether it would be better to pop an Aleve to get rid of the stress of having the headache or whether it’s better to just endure the headache. I’ve tended towards taking nothing but maybe the naproxen sodium might actually give me a little sodium. ??

(Brent) #7

Thanks Candy. I’m happy to report i’m at the 4 day mark and no lightheadedness or headaches. What have i done. It take a 1/4 teaspoon of real salt 3 times a day. Its kind of nasty. I just put it under my tongue and wash it down with water. I also take 1 99mg capsule of potassium a day. I also made a big pitcher of Brenda’s ketoaid that you linked to.

(Candy Lind) #8

Awesome! I’m happy to hear it’s “just” electrolytes. If you don’t like the salt under the tongue thing, just buy some salt tablets. I take one every night to make sure I have more than enough salt. Your body will get rid of any excess, but if you don’t have enough, it has pretty big ramifications.

I use the iodized salt in my morning cuppa ketoade and then snack on the pink salt or celtic salt through the day. The iodine is important too.

I’ve also started adding about a half teaspoon of baking soda per day.

But why?

It’s supposed to be good for digestion and kidney health, among other things.