Fasting for a 5k

(Casey Crisler) #1

I’ve decided to try my first +24 hour fast so I’ll be good and full of energy for a 5k this Saturday. Based on what Fung writes, this should help. I’m IFing until 3pm today, then will eat until 6pm (not literally). Next meal will probably be Saturday afternoon or even Sunday morning/afternoon if I can. I’ll be drinking water, tea and coffee, chewing gum or mints (maybe a fast breaker), and ingesting pink salt. Im also going to track my blood sugar.
Wish me luck since this will be hard for me.

:crossed_fingers::running_man::medal_sports::grey_exclamation:

(Whitney) #3

I’ve listened to a lot of podcasts and lectures by Jason Fung about fasting, but I don’t remember hearing that a 24 hour fast would IMPROVE energy for a 5K. This is very interesting to me as I run 5K’s a few times a month and am hoping to do a 10K in November. Let us know how it goes on Sunday! :smile:

(Casey Crisler) #4

I read it in The Obesity Code (or his fasting book). Said energy levels are higher. Or words to that effect.

(Casey Crisler) #5

I double checked The O Code since I was starting to be concerned I misread it. Page 241 on the iPhone Kindle version talks about adrenaline increasing at around 24 hours. At 48 hours metabolic rate increases 3.6%. Mine will be a 36+ hour fast before the run tomorrow. Assuming I don’t break down and eat.

(Whitney) #6

That’s good info. Good luck! I hope you are having good weather for your run. I’m in Arkansas and it is hot and rainy, so I’m not really looking forward to an afternoon run.

(Casey Crisler) #7

It’s in the Phoenix area. Morning temps are supposed to be in the upper 70’s-80’s. Might be a little humid for us. But I’ve ran in hotter weather. Just wish it was cloudy.

(Jeanne Wagner) #8

How did it go?

(Casey Crisler) #9

I was able to fast until after the 5k. About 40 hours total. I finished ok for a first time I guess. But the bottom third of my age group. My next one was several minutes faster. Then I jacked up the ligament in my knee so I was out of commission for a week. Just started back slowly the other day. Hoping I can do my first hike today since.

(Jeanne Wagner) #10

Sorry about the knee, definitely no fun. Did that in my teens when my horse sat on my leg… yep. Anyway, thanks for the update!! I’m doing a 5k this coming Friday - geez didn’t realize it was so close! and then another currently scheduled one for February…the Disney Princess Run 5k. Maybe I’ll squeeze another in there before then.

(Casey Crisler) #11

Are you a 5k runner normally or is this something you just started doing?

(Jeanne Wagner) #12

Just started doing. I got the C25K app and I was supposed to be training for the past couple of months. I don’t train very well. But I’m able to go a good 1/2 mile without stopping at this point. Can run/walk 5K no problem. My issue is that I get palpitations sometimes out of the blue and that affects my oxygen distribution. I have to stop and try to get them to stop, then I get afraid to jog again so soon after they stop. It’s all fun and games until I pass out. Not that I have…trying to make sure it doesn’t happen.