Fasting during shark week

(Missy) #1

Hi ladies, I was planning on doing an EF for a few days, (last meal was yesterday evening), but my period unexpectedly showed up today. Have any of you ladies ever fasted during your period? Do any of you know if doing an EF at this time is a bad thing? I tried the search function and didn’t find anything so any info would be greatly appreciated.

(Keto Travels) #2

I woukd say it greatly depends on the shark in question :wink: - ?I find that my heavy periods an water fasting don’t mix well during the first few days… I just get too tired. I am fine with some fat added to a hot beverage or OMAD. Tail end of period I can do what I want …

However since lots of things around fluids happen for me (retaining anywhere between 1 and 8 pounds) pre shark, I really need to be extra careful to get enough electrolytes in.

N=1 - try and see what works for you, just dont force anything

(Missy) #3

I did try it and decided against it 24 hours in. I’m glad I chose not to. This shark week was a bad one and I’m fighting a virus. I probably would’ve made myself more sick had I fasted. Thanks for replying. :blush:

(Liz ) #4

I see you’ve already ended the fast for good reasons but I’ll still put my 2 cents in for future readers. I recently did a 70 hour fast starting on day 1 of my period and I felt fine the whole fast. No different from other fasts, in fact it was one of my smoother experiences. So if someone wonders about it, try and see, they can always end the fast like you did if it doesn’t feel right.

(Missy) #5

Thanks Liz, that’s good to know. I planned on doing the fast not expecting shark week, but it happened. I’m hoping one day to try it out again…hopefully when it’s not a bad one.

When you fasted during your period, did it help with bloating?

(Liz ) #6

I don’t really get much bloating that I notice anyway so it’s hard to say. But I do get monthly migraines all around my period that can happen at any time and I was worried fasting would trigger one but it didn’t.

One thing that was really nice is I get RAVENOUS for two or three days before my period starts so I used that as opportunity to load up on tasty fats before fasting (feasting), once my period starts my appetite diminishes anyway so the timing was very good as far as hunger signals.

(Missy) #7

My period is all over the place sometimes so it’s hard for me to listen to queues. Before keto, I would get intense cravings for chocolate, lower back aches and symptoms close to what resembles morning sickness when pregnant, a few days before period started. I’ve only been keto since Dec of last year and my period queues are now out of whack, so I’m sure my body and hormones are still slowly adjusting to this WOE.

(Liz ) #8

Yes it is so common for Keto to change up periods! Mine has always been very regular & has mostly remained so but I think the estrogen released from my stored fats has caused issues as well, sore breasts, acne, probably other stuff. It’s wild how much all this is connected to insulin! Which I had no idea was a hormone before I started reading about Keto.

(Missy) #9

Same here. I’ve been perimenopausal going on 6 years now and nothing was helping my symptoms. As soon as I cut sugar and carbs out of my diet, my symptoms have either disappeared or improved significantly.

(Liz ) #10

Ah that’s excellent. I’m 48, so also peri, no doubt. Would really love the 30+ years of acne to cease. Come on, Keto, make it happen!

(Missy) #11

Adult acne sucks! Is that something that started because of keto?

(Keto Travels) #12

Mine started in puberty and never really left - but is getting better and better the longer I stay away from any carbs. even the remaining pre-shark week breakouts are getting less and less. And I started seeing immediate improvements going off all sugar and grains in the past as well. So I guess for me, only positive effects from keto.

(Liz ) #13

It started at puberty :scream:

(Nicole Sawchuk) #14

I typically fast during my period. Over the last year, what I have learned that it is the week leading up to my period is when it is super hard to fast! Its not a perfect science, and since my cycles are not perfectly timed, it can be a guessing game. More because I no longer get as many PMS symptoms, and I forget its approaching and than wonder why I am struggling to fast!

(Andrea) #15

Let me grumble a little…I’ve been on the keto diet for about 10 months now. Up until Christmas everything was great, losing weight, periods regular every 28-30 days. All good given before keto it could be every 21 days.

Since Christmas I’ve been keeping carbs low (def sub 50g) but much more liberal on the fat. So weight going back on again a bit. A few weeks ago I had a 2 day fast just before my period was due. Since then nothing. Out to nearly 50 days now, very minimal spotting. Definitely not pregnant. So here’s me grumbling! Why no period? In fact, in all the time I’ve been over-eating, it’s been getting longer and longer between periods. I don’t know what’s going on.

Grumble grumble…and yes, what’s this? A spot on my chin?! Oh come on now body…get your act together and act like a grown up!!!

(April Wessels) #16

Hi I just posted a question about this (wish i’d seen this thread earlier)…just seeing if you’ve fasted since this & if during period. I’m 63 hrs into my first water fast & period came early - now I just feel bloated & puffy all over & benefits of fast seem counterproductive