Fasting - Do I Have To Do It Forever?

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hi all. I was thinking about my fasting strategy (currently implementing ADF) and what I’ll do to “shake things up” if it doesn’t work or if it works, then stops working. Per Megan Ramos, it’s good to keep your body guessing.

My question is this…if I do alternate day fasting and maybe switch to 3 days fasting, 4 days feasting after that - or some other extended fasting routine, can I ever go back to eating daily or will that make me gain weight? Currently I only eat lunch and dinner, does it always have to be that way?

TL;DR: will I ever be able to eat on a regular schedule again or will I have to continue to fast the rest of my life to maintain weight loss?

(Tim) #2

I plan on always doing some form of fasting just because of the benefits I feel from it that aren’t associated with weight loss. Once I get to a weight I want to maintain at though, the number of days I fast might be one three to five day fast once a quarter, or it might be one three day fast a month.

I don’t think you ‘have to’, but I most certainly want to.

To the best of my knowledge, there’s nothing about fasting that will make you ‘dependent’ on it for weight loss or maintenance though.

(Dude Man) #3

In my experience of fasting your body will become more efficient with food, this also goes with less cravings . Sounds like your three day fast is pushing your limits? Is this true? As far as the rest of your life is concerned Megan Ramos has it correct, life pre- civilization we had no clue what was coming. You may not eat for 12 days… but meatobolilicly your calories while feasting and activity level will dictate your energy level for the rest of the time (fast). "Feast while feasting then fast while fasting. The balance will give you the gain or loss. Test and try to find out where you go. Remember she gained 10 lb and lost 5 dress sizes fasting. Check the newest episode of the ketovangelist podcast.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #4

Perhaps this is how we should have all eaten from birth

Fast til you’re hungry.

(What The Fast?!) #5

No, it’s the same as with most people - hours 18-36 are the toughest. I’ve only done two fasts longer than 36 hours and plan to continue to experiment, I just wanted to know if I’d be dependent on fasting to maintain weight the rest of my life.[quote=“Dude_man, post:3, topic:15331”]
Remember she gained 10 lb and lost 5 dress sizes fasting.
[/quote]
I haven’t lost either (inches or lbs) yet, really hoping that fasting helps my body “release” some body fat.

I’ll do that today, thanks. I’ve been listening to Fasting Talk recently.

(James storie) #6

At this point in my journey, I have to use some form of longer IF or EF to loose weight, more than 24 hrs. Although, I can maintain weight with one meal a day or however many I want. I agree with @JorgePasada, I will probably use fasting as a tool for the rest of my life. But not as a daily thing once I’m at my goal.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Andrea, I haven’t been maintaining all that long (since the end of April) IF + extended fasting got me to goal. Since then, I have been weighing daily and watching when the weight goes back to my goal weight, if it hits my goal weight, I do IF and 24 or 36 hr. fast to drive it back down. This is mostly water weight as it comes on quickly and short fasting gets rid of it quickly. Fat is much slower to leave your body. When not fasting I am eating about 25-50 carbs per day, I am not counting calories, just watching to see if I go up or down.

You will always have to do something to stay at a goal weight. I’d rather watch carbs and fast/ IF from time to time than get back on the crazy train of CICO, since it has failed me for over 30 years. Honestly I enjoy the extended fasting when I am in the zone so much, I would do it once a month or so, just for the great feeling. It is also good for muscle repairs etc. So why wouldn’t I do it just, not as much as I did to loss the weight. But it seems like it will be a powerful weight maintenance tool for me.

I really only enjoy breakfast on the weekends for some reason the other days, I can care less now. So I will just be naturally fasting 14-16 hrs. most days just because coffee or tea is fine to start my days now.

I did ADF for 2 years to lose my final 100 lbs (lost 180 total), and I’ve been maintaining for the past 8 years eating DAILY. There are times that I will cycle my calories–eating less one day than another–but I never do any specific ADF—or any fasting at all.

(What The Fast?!) #9

Whoa!! Thank you!!

This week I tried a 48 or 60 hour fat fast. At first it was more annoying to have to think about food but I got used to it and felt like I was in better Keto than usual. The idea is an Atkins original and was mentioned in a book I picked up by Dana Carpender.

I lost 3 lbs from my lowest and 6 lbs from where I was last week. It was pretty effortless. I did 3 small snacks a day plus a tsp of HWC in coffee when I got up. I also feel like I cannot lose unless I am fasting, eating normal keto rarely helps me lose more than a lb but I have lost quite a bit since March with the fasts (36 hours to 5 days depending). With all of them I do drink a coffee with a little cream up to 2 cups a day, cannot stand the caffine withdrawl

(Ernest) #11

I really think that fasting should be unplanned.
If you are hungry in the true sense, eat. If you are not, don’t eat.
Not knocking anyone but these 3 day fasts, are they necessary?
There’s a reason for hunger signs, listen to them.
I love One Meal a Day but if I get true hunger some time after my meal, I’ll eat.

Again, not knocking on anyone.
You really don’t have to force fasting.

(Dude Man) #12

Autophagy autophagy autophagy, Who wants to live forever!

LOL! Not me. But I want to look really hot on my death bed.

(Dude Man) #14

Wow you are awesome.