Fasting Blood Sugar Still High

(Sam) #1

Before i started the keto diet my fasting blood sugar was 80-85. Post meals it would hover between 120-140.

I have been doing keto, pretty strict for about ~6 months now. My fasting blood sugar is ranging between 100-110. Granted, it doesn’t really go beyond 120 ever… but it rarely drops below 95. How long until this normalizes back down to sub 90?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I just watched an interview with Dr. Paul Mason, the Australian sports physician, who said that he’d rather see a patient with relatively flat glucose readings, even if they are somewhat higher than normal, than to see a low fasting number with greater variability. In his view, it’s the rises in glucose that are the problem, not so much the absolute number if it’s stable over all. If you have a CGM and the curve is pretty flat, you are okay.

P.S.—I deleted the other topic, since it was a duplicate.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

What exactly are you eating and how much? Do you track/weight/measure your food? It’s possible that one or more things you’re eating cause you a problem. As noted, a CGM would be a useful tool to help you discover if any particular food(s) are an issue. What’s your age and general health? It’s possible that something just needs to get fixed and it’s taking the time necessary to fix itself.

(Sam) #4

i used a CGM For a month (talked about it in a previous post). My blood sugar was pretty flat 100-120 the entire month. I only had one spike to ~140 and that was because of a very specific sweetener in PB2 peanut butter that i had a reaction to. Beyond that i had some days where my fasting blood sugar was in the 90s but usually it was in the low 100s and never really rose above 115.