Fasting and Swimming- can they fit together?

(Jorge L) #1

So I have been doing keto for 12 months. I’ve lost 50lbs along the way, and better yet, decided it was time to start swimming again. Yesterday I completed 1 mile in the pool! Anyways, I have a long standing goal to get below 190lbs and right now I am at 194lbs. I am thinking of going IF to loose those last four pounds as I have not been able to get them to budge for the last 3 months - even with the swimming. My question is simple, will IF impact my swimming progress? Or how can I minimize any impact?

Here’s a thread with some info that might be helpful:

(bulkbiker) #3

I usually swim fasted… much better anyway as you don’t get the threat of regurgitation.
I try to go mid morning about 11 am and do between 1 and 2 km still haven’t managed to get under 20 minutes per km but aiming for that one day.

(Ross) #4

I’ve been having some of my best workouts after a 24 hour or more fast.
distance has been up to 2 miles in a workout while in a fasted state over the summer.
No problems with energy levels in the least.

My N of 1 would say “yes”. Give it a shot!

We have enough swimmers on here now maybe we should have a SWIMMING section?

(Jorge L) #5

2 miles! Good grief! I thought 1 mile was a lot!!!

(Ross) #6

1 mile is a great distance! My summer Saturday morning workout was 1.5 KM (basically a mile) at the fastest pace I could hold steady. I think I got a better workout from that than from the longer distance days to tell you the truth! Keep up the great work!

If you are going by the scale numbers, then exercise will lend a substantial wt fluctuation. For example my steady weight is around 145 lbs. After a hike, my weight will be 152 lbs. I am assuming muscle repair and water retention. Please keep that in mind.