Fasting and PCOS

(jilliangordona) #1

I just read this blog post from the IDM Program talking about fasting and polycystic diseases. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and chose keto as a healing diet to balance hormones and take back my reproductive system as I look to have children in a few years.

Has anyone who has PCOS and fasts seen a reduction in their number of cysts? In April I went to the doctor because of some side pain and they did a vaginal ultrasound, after being about 7 months keto. The doctor who I had never seen because said “other than the large number of cysts, you look fine” so at that point keto had not made much of a difference.

Before even reading this article, I had decided to fast for a minimum of 48 hours every week starting on Sundays for weight loss. With this information, I am interested in heading to the doctor to monitor the growth of decline of my PCOS.

With that in mind, other than the “usual” (testosterone, FSH, insulin, etc) what tests should I ask for?

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-polycystic-diseases/

(Miss E) #2

As far as I know, those tests should be enough to know if the fasting is having an effect on your PCOS.

(FYI acupuncture, herbs and moxibuxtion had a big impact on my PCOS and I got the bloods to prove it, unfortunately my Acupunturist moved away and I am fairly sure the results were reversed.).

(jilliangordona) #3

Can you elaborate? I currently do acupuncture, and take inositol, but that’s in! What herbs are you taking?

(Miss E) #4

Mugwort (both as a tea and in moxi) help regulate periods. I was also taking a tea with meals that was a mixture of hawthorn leaf, oregano and parsley. It speeds up metabolism and helps you digest your food more easily, I had about 70% meat and dairy free and lost 10 kilos without trying. It also helped regulate my hormones.

Although I no longer follow this plan I do sometimes still take mugwort tea if my period is very late.

(Miss E) #5

If you do get mugwort, smell it first. It should smell quite pungent (but tastes fine).