Fasting and exercising

(Jennifer Patterson) #1

Hello
I am quite new to Keto. Fat adapted long distance runner.

Worked hard to get the balance right to suit my training schedule, I’m in the gym most days plus running every other day. Long runs Saturdays.

I have decided to try and do a series of fasts for lent and haven’t fasted and trained together before. Am currently 24 hours into my first fast (planned for 48 hours). I trained last night (run, weights, yoga) and feel great today. Tonight is my weekly kettle class. I will have breakfast tomorrow before my long run.

My question is do other people fast and train? Am I risking burning muscle? Should I just listen to my body and continue, stop if I can’t go on?!

Any advice appreciated!

Jen :+1::muscle:

(Allan L) #2

This summarises my approach. Sometimes exercising fasted is easier, sometimes it does not work for me. Depends on my body and I listen.

But maybe I should define fasted. I always exercise in the AM, about 18 hours after my last meal. Its the extended fasts I need to adjust at times.

(Rob) #3

I agree with @Allan on listening to your body.

I have done a number of workouts fasted and I feel as good as if not better than when I have eaten that day. I’m definitely building muscle and getting stronger and fitter. I would say that if you’re concerned, start out gently and work up to the point where you feel that you are genuinely pushing yourself on each workout.

(Michael ) #4

I train fasted daily. However, this is IF so usually only 16 to 18 hours fasted and i will usually eat within a few hours of training…usually.

During extended fasts, i have done cardio but avoided weights until the day I’m breaking fast to have protein available for muscle repair and building. I can’t say for sure that you shouldn’t do strength training during long fasts but I just assumed it would be a waste of time without protein.

But as far as training fasted and not eating for a few hours or more, Ive been doing it for a few months and I’ve made good gains.

Listen to your body though, it took about a month to adjust and feel well doing this. I haven’t done extended fast for awhile but I remember getting dizzy doing cardio so had to stop some of the days. I suspect it would be better after 3 months of exercising without food, but just start slow and be careful. Keep electrolytes balanced

(Ethan) #5

I don’t vary my workout routine for fasting. In fact, this week I did a full weight-lifting session 3 days fasted and a 75-minute cardio workout 4-days fasted.

(Kameel Awdish) #6

First time i fasted was for 10 days, i continued going to the gym everyday doing heavy calisthenics excercises (weighted pullups/dips/pushups), 5x5 compound excercises such as heavy squats/deadlifts. out of the 10 days i felt light headedness a few times only after squats and deads. In those 10 days i was getting stronger and increasing the weight! THIS DEF helped me lose more body fat, i went from 90kg down to 83kg, a few months later i was down to 79KG and stronger than ever. the reason i think this is because 10months later i started eating crap again and gained the weight back. i decided to do the 10day fast again but this time i wasnt hitting the gym (my gym closed down and i was busy with work), i went from 92.4kg down to 88kg and nce i started eating again (keto) i quickly ended at 90KG. only 2.4kg lost - BIG DIFF.

having said that, i know there are many factors that can effect the difference in results, but i still feel when i trained like this during the 10 day fast in made a massive difference.

(Michael ) #7

I know we recycle protein during fast but I’m curious where you pulled protein out of for gains during long fast? I guess i don’t know enough about biology to understand what’s happening here. I have read that protein consumed is likely used for the next day. So, the 30 minute anabolic window seems silly. But after a few days, i would have thought your muscles would struggle to repair, let alone build muscle and strength. When you throw gluconeogenisis into the mix, i don’t know how you aren’t losing muscle. I read that protein is recycled during fasts to minimize muscle loss, but building muscle seems a little crazy. Any cellular biologists available to comment?

(Kameel Awdish) #8

It was to my surprise if im honest. i continued hitting the gym hard only to minimise muscle loss. a point to be aware of however, i had recently started going back to the gym before doing the fast, (after a long break from the gym and a lot of muscle loss) so in those 10 days my strength did increase but i do attribute most of that to muscle memory. reason for this is that in a few weeks i gained all the strength back from before i took a break from the gym the first time. after that gaining muscle really slowed down, but by then as was long done with the fast. Did shorter fasts along with keto to reach 79kg.

(Michael ) #9

Interesting. I’m always looking for more information in this area. I started fasted training to utilize elevated HGH levels and low insulin. But lately reading stuff that the HGH climb during fast isn’t effective for muscle building and regardless of when you exercise, fat losd is the same and not beneficial to have low insulin during training

I’ve had excellent results in last few months but I’ve been eating a lot more protein and training harder. So, i can’t conclude that the fasting is effective. I wish everyone could agree on science so i could just get the correct info. Instead, one expert says one thing and another one calls BS…the end result is never being sure what’s best.

(Kameel Awdish) #10

I know what you mean, its frustrating, besides everyone is different so there isnt one answer, not even in the ‘we all get along perfect world scenario’. On a daily basis i eat once a day, after the gym in the evening. i love training fasted i do feel stronger, whether its in my head, or theres something to it i couldnt tell you. Ive just become so used to it, i couldnt imagine eating before the gym now… once i eat i wanna chill and have a good time, and if its a big meal full of fat i’ll be knocked out early for the night. :heart_eyes::sleeping:

I train with a few friends with similar builds and levels of fitness, they dont fast, they actually think what i do is nuts… but in the gym i dont feel disadvantaged one bit.

(Jennifer Patterson) #11

I suppose it depends on the aim of the training. I’m not really looking to build muscle, just retain what I utilise when running. I couldn’t think of anything worse than sitting around doing nothing when I could be working out!

So with that in mind, i will continue unless my body says no! I’ll let you know when I’ve been for a run and swung some kettles later (31 hours fasted)

:+1::muscle:

(Michael ) #12

I agree on feeling tired when you finally eat. I’ve experimented with MCT and eating before gym but I generally seem to do best fasted too. Don’t have any gym friends for comparison. I do drink a couple cups of coffee at the gym and take creatine but no protein powders or pre workout crap. People look at my coffee bottle funny but my performance is pretty respectable so maybe I’m not the crazy one

(Kameel Awdish) #13

Good luck! Salt and plenty of water helps a lot when training. from my experience even a little bit of resistance training will help keep your muscle mass. infact think dr. fung mentioned somethin about runners going for days fasted and the muscle loss was negligible, and returns once eating again.

for me after 36hours, the hunger was in the mind, no longer in my stomach. so its mind over matter… if you dont mind it dont matter :yum:

(Kameel Awdish) #14

people can look at you however they like. its one thing being a sheep and following the herd and theres nothing wrong with that. having said that theres plenty of respect for the ones that think differently, and continue to challenge the status quo! (wether doing it right or wrong, we only learn from our mistakes so…)

I have an espresso when on my way to the gym, better than any of those toxic pre workouts.

(Michael ) #15

Cheaper too! Cup of coffee from home and creatine monohydrate are substantially cheaper than that colored poison everyone drinks at the gym

(Ethan) #16

Yep. I don’t care about price sometimes. My energy drink is two shots of nespresso! If I am NOT fasting, I add MCT oil powder.

(Tim W) #17

I’ve been using IF and fasting protocols for several years.

Working out fasted is probably a good idea, even if it’s only IF (say you work out at 0800 and don’t eat until 1600 or so).

Working out during a long term fast is probably a good idea as well. I’ve done it lots of times (ran 12 miles on day six of a fast, that kind of goofy stuff) and I’ve never experienced muscle loss as a result.

You should listen to your body BUT, sometimes the body will lie.

Here’s what I mean by that. I often use a 3-5 day fasting protocol, sometimes, on day 3, I wake up and my body is SCREAMING “get back in bed, you don’t have the energy you need, stay in bed!” But I’ve learned to get up, get moving, go for a slow walk and then start running, it works every time. Another example, I often run 3-4 miles and then lift moderate weights. I’ve often woke up feeling the same way as above, took a walk, felt good enough to run, then started lifting, telling myself I was only going to “go light” (say 3 sets of 8) and, after the 2nd set, found I had the energy and ability to do a full five sets of 8 etc.

Bottom line, listen to your body BUT, be wiling to push it a little bit too. Make sure you get your electrolytes (keto aide rules!) and take some supplements if you are used to them (I use zinc, mag, fish oil, vitamin D, potassium etc…) and, Phiney and Volek suggest sodium 30 minutes prior to a workout and a warm up period.

Good luck in your efforts. The great thing about being a fat adapted runner is you can hit the road without worrying about carrying calories with you and/or go for a run even though you haven’t eaten in a few days, it’s very liberating.

(Jennifer Patterson) #18

Done. Feel great! :hugs::muscle::+1:

(Tim W) #19

Good on ya!

I often feel better than every a few days after a fasted workout, I think it’s from the post workout HGH and mitochondria growth. Whatever it is, it’s addicting!

(Jennifer Patterson) #20

Just noticed a danger zone though. A friend not well versed in Keto offered to make me dinner, I explained the no carb thing but he didn’t quite get it - cooked a lovely dinner with roast spuds and bread sauce (:disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:), he went to so much effort I couldn’t not eat it (he was quite proud he’d even managed to cook a whole dinner), so I ate the carbs with the “well I’ve just fasted and I’m about to fast again thought”. But that’s not a healthy mind set to be in! So I’m conscious I need to be careful the coming weeks!!