Fasting after a workout

I work out at a CrossFit-affiliated gym three times a week after work. I get home, shower, relax for about a half hour and go to bed. I’m not hungry, so I don’t eat. Everything I know from my pre-keto lifestyle says that eating after a workout is an important part of recovery. Everything I know about keto says don’t eat if you’re not hungry. Does that apply to post-workout as well? I feel fine so I’m inclined to keep skipping dinner on workout days but I also don’t want to be losing muscle mass. My current goal is fat loss.

(Allie) #2

I never eat after training because I train evenings then go to bed.

The old myth of having to eat within x amount of time afterwards has long been debunked, it’s no issue as long as you’re eating enough protein throughout the day.

I’m not a fan of that mindset at all! Many of us learned that the hard way. It’s how I lost a lot of muscle mass and wasn’t hungry because my metabolic rate was on the downswing. Crossfit (I’ll bite my lip there) is extremely glycolitic and your body very much needs fuel and nutrients to repair from workouts (savage beatings) like that. While the 90’s view of the “anabolic window” is BS, that doesn’t mean your body doesn’t need material to rebuild with either. If you’re going to keep going that path, I’d advise a DEXA scan and a RMR measurement now so you’ll have a baseline.

(Jenna Ericson) #4

I’m thinking of doing this also! If I do I’ll let you know how it goes!