Fasting advice - binging and procrastinating before a fast

(Mother of Puppies ) #1

This is really bothering me.

Several months ago, I was in a good place with Keto and decided to try ADF. I preloaded with avocados, etc. and the week was

EFFORTLESS!! I did three fasts of 36 -44 hours within a week!!

It was so easy that I decided to keep that up for s year.

But it seemed like I overthought it, or something. I kept procrastinating and binging every time I would plan to start over.

How can I get my mind out of the way and become a regular ADF-er?

It might be easier to just start over without the fasting part. Once you get a handle on the bingeing and back to a sturdy keto foundation you can add the fasting back into the mix?

(Carl Keller) #3

I agree with @Hapygirl. Start slowly and eat right for a while so you can get back control of your hormones and then maybe try some IF and work your way up to EF. It’s way easier to fall off the mountain than it is to climb back up. Just be patient and take it one step at a time.

(Mother of Puppies ) #4

Actually, I think I’m in a good place.
I have a strategy for dealing with certain trigger places

My adherence has been good for a month

Just trying to figure out why I panicked (or something) back then…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

It could well mean that you are not ready to fast yet. Or perhaps it means that you are not ready for an extended commitment.

Try fasting on an ad-hoc basis. Fast when you feel like it, and keep telling yourself that you can eat whenever you want to. Might make it easier.

(Mother of Puppies ) #6

That has worked before…

Telling myself I can, but may or may not choose to.

Why would that work?

Restrictions cause a weird psych reaction?

It’s totally fine physically.

(Robert C) #7

I’ve been stuck in this kind of thing before.

As soon as you decide to fast, your brain (the old lizard part) sends the strong message to load up on food - you’ve fasted a few times and it knows what’s coming.

AND/OR

The more developed thinking part of your brain starts working on itself to give license to overeat - “this fasting will be so effective - you can have this and this and this before you start”.

I never found a way around this - just try to white-knuckle it each time (sometimes it is a small effect but sometimes big - cannot predict and doesn’t seem to depend on fast length). One thing that helps a little is to not focus on what I cannot have (i.e. food) but instead think of the positives (no cooking, no carrying lunch around, no food shopping).

(Mother of Puppies ) #8

These both feel familiar.

Can they be overcome?

(Robert C) #9

I have not found a way yet.

We are programmed to go after food when it is available (during our evolution that was part of how we survived).

So, refusing to eat in a great tasting food rich environment is an unnatural act.

Trying to reason with the parts of your brain that want you to eat – especially when those parts know food is about to become artificially scarce - is difficult.

As I said, focusing on the positives helps.

Maybe there is another approach.

Something along the lines of recognizing that you cannot win against these two parts of your brain so the only way to not lose is to find a way to not fight.

I don’t know how I would do this arbitrarily but I have found that when my job is super interesting, it is much easier to fast - maybe just keeping busy is a good answer here.

Of course, the other way to not fight is to not plan to fast - if it puts you into a negative binge eating cycle that is now another health hassle you have to overcome - maybe it is not worth it.

(Mother of Puppies ) #11

Are you allowed to sell things here?

(Mother of Puppies ) #12

THANK YOU GUYS!!!

I’m in hour 21, coasting through. Bed at ten.

Why is my mental state SUCH an obstacle in SO many ways???

(Lauren) #13

I really struggle with EF. I can do IF no problem (finish supper around 7pm, eat around noon the next day) but the second I decide to EF, or think about the number of hours it’s been, I start binging.

I was attributing it to the poverty/and food deprivation I dealt with from ages 10-16ish. I had/have some pretty severe food aggression (binging, stabbing, hovering, and even growling). I mostly have it under control, but fasting seems to trigger the binging.

Basically, I am no help. Following for ideas.

Another perfect reply. You’re on a roll.

The lizard brain explanation is on the mark. You’ve used this before and it is appropro here as well. A lot of justification going on deep inside our dark, carby side.

Our higher brain is more sophisticated and creative in its tricks but none are more effective than the lizard in us.

Most important and effective weapons are simply to educate yourself and recognize the tricks for what they are.

Nobody said this was easy. More painless and easier than most ways of eating and losing but still not a breeze. After all, we’ve already been blown away by the easy routes — and have paid dearly.

“”Why is my mental state SUCH an obstacle in SO many ways???””

Because every frickin’ conscious thing we do in this life is mental!

That big brain of ours consumes the most energy and it constantly wants to be fed. It demands caloric intake. It knows all too well that dreaded word — fasting — and wants to avoid it at all costs. It will even make you dream about food.

Only breathing supersedes drinking and eating. Even sex is a distant fourth. And sleep probably nudges it out for fourth.

But the brain can be effectively, if not permanently, tamed and house trained. Not easily because like a puppy dog it will try to win your heart over with smells, tricks and other cuddling with comforts.

Mental discipline comes from consistency and small reinforcing victories. And it must be practiced regularly. Fasting is like bike riding, you don’t forget how. But, also, don’t expect to ride a Century after laying off for years.

(Mother of Puppies ) #16

And it makes perfect sense.

The first time I tried ADF, I was uncertain, and it was easy.

After, I was all gung-ho and failed.

Thank goodness for this forum!!! Bless you guys