Fasting a cold away

(Lauren Malhoit) #1

Anyone ever fasted away a cold? I’ve read a few things about how it might help, maybe because of autophagy. Any science out there on this?

a cold has nothing to do with autophagy. that is where the body eliminates its own, damaged cells. a cold is a viral infection that the body fights off. the last thing you would probably want to do is start fasting ( a hormetic stress on the body) when its attempting to rally its resources and fight something off. fasting is great when applied correctly but its not magic.

(Lauren Malhoit) #3

I know this article may not be totally legit, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of building immunity. Http://authoritynutrition.com/can-fasting-fight-the-flu-or-cold/

I had a cold during my last fast and it seemed like my symptoms were more mild. I have no idea why!

Well, perhaps a nice bowl of bone broth would be a good idea for someone with a cold, even if they are fasting?

Not quite complete, although autophagy scavenges damages cells, part of those cells are from the immune system and in some cases white blood cells are reduced by as much as 40% and then the refeeding phase rebuilds with fresh ones, thereby bolstering the immune system; you can check out articles from Dr. Valter Longo.

Part of the process of fasting that’s helping to accelerate the defeat of any illness is reducing the oxidative stress on the body and it’s been said that the #1 stressor on the body is food, so removing the burden of that stress allows for more resources to be allocated towards attacking the illness.

(Alex Dipego) #7

Hippocrates said it best," to eat when sick is to feed your sickness."

@BillyJay,
Very interesting about autophagy eliminating as much as 40% white blood cells. Upon refeed after fasting, what is the optimal nutrition requirement for white blood cell rebuild? In other words, what are white blood cells composed of? People with a low red blood cell count need to take in more iron…so what are the nutritional needs for low white blood cell count?

I read about this as part of the autophagy benefits of fasting in general and in that context, there was only a resumption of the subject’s normal diet, as long as that diet isn’t one that is intended to lose weight, etc. In other words, there was no special emphasis placed on specific nutrients.

The main point is that if someone is below their daily requirements for calories and/or nutrition, they won’t have sufficient nutrition for the body to switch to the rebuilding.

@BillyJay,
I just did a quick read on white blood cells, and it looks like about 60% are made up of what is called “Neutrophils”. These neutrophils go after bacteria and fungi in our bodies.

Here’s another interesting thing:
“Neutrophils have a preference to engulf refined carbohydrates[13][14][15] (glucose, fructose, sucrose, honey, and orange juice[13]) over bacteria.[13] In 1973 Sanchez et al. found that the neutrophil phagocytic capacity to engulf bacteria is affected when simple sugars are digested,[13] and that fasting strengthens the neutrophils’ phagocytic capacity to engulf bacteria.[13] However, the digestion of normal starches has no effect. It was concluded that the function, and not the number, of phagocytes in engulfing bacteria was altered by the ingestion of sugars.[13] In 2007 researchers at the Whitehead Institute of Biomedical Research found that given a selection of sugars, neutrophils engulf some types of sugar preferentially.[14][15]”

So, this points to a few things. When people get sick, it’s not known if it is a bacteria or virus…culture test needed. Upon fasting, if it is bacterial, fasting helps improve immunity. But, if you were in ketosis to begin with, and low glucose and other sugars being ingested, perhaps you are more resistant to contracting the bacterial illness to begin with? Might explain why I tend to get less sick than the people I am surrounded by?

(jketoscribe) #11

Personally, it might be an interesting experiment to see how fasting did with a cold virus. I don’t get them very often any more, since being keto/LCHF. Prior to that I would have had the chance to experiment maybe 10 times a year. Now it may not even be 10 times a decade :wink:

I know when I have a fever I really cannot eat–I generally let my body be the guide. Unless the fever gets very high and painful (over 102) I try NOT to treat it with anything except fluids and rest, because I’m a big believer in letting my body do it’s job rather than interfering with OTC comfort meds. I take none–no Tylenol or Ibuprohen, no antihistamines or decongestants, cough syrups, etc. (If I have asthma symptoms I make an exception for asthma inhalers because that can go south on me really fast).

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to stay hydrated. I swear I have drowned bugs out by starting to hydrate with lots of warm liquids at the first sniffle!

(Chan Cleland) #12

Opposing Effects of Fasting Metabolism on Tissue Tolerance in Bacterial and Viral Inflammation
lnteresting article (most of it behind paywall). Might answer @carl question from podcast about his infection.

(jketoscribe) #13

Had a “something” last week. I’m not sure if it was allergies or a cold brewing. It hit fast–I woke up feeling fine and then was sneezing and congested and miserable within an hour (I suspect allergy as I didn’t have a sore throat or anything). So I did my self-care. Put a pot of broth to brew in the Instant Pot, made a pot of tea and drank it down, worked from home to reduce the stress of trying to keep up with work and insipid phone calls, and hopped in the infrared sauna in the evening (yes, we have one!). Felt GREAT the next day.

I did have breakfast and I wasn’t hungry until around 5 p.m. at which point I had some delicious freshly made broth with some shiritaki noodles. And dinner a couple of hours later. So no fasting. But whatever it was passed quickly.

(Ashley Haddock) #14

I just came here to see if there was anything about this subject. I started feeling like I had something coming on last night (sore throats and ears, a little bit of body aches and chest tightness). I woke up at 7 am feeling horribly - throat was on fire and I felt achy. I took some pain meds and went back to bed. I haven’t eaten all day. I had some broth and a little coffee and water. I’m not feeling as bad as I was this morning. It’s been almost 24 hours since I’ve eaten. This is the longest I’ve ever fasted (I usually do IF) and I’m wondering if I should continue fasting. I’m starting to feel a little hungry, but it’s not horrible. But if the fast is helping the cold then I’d hate to eat and screw it up.

(Lorraine Piercy) #15

I have had severe chest cold and loss of appetite so went from Sunday night to Thursday morning. on weds i had a couple of strawberries. Also some clear broth… Been keeping fluids up with green tea and mineral water. Feeling a lot better in fact during last night I had that surge of energy so I could tell i was on the mend. Last time I had a flu like this it dragged on for almost 8 weeks will be interesting to see if shorter recovery time. Non intention just not hungry

(Chan Cleland) #16

Interesting article about nutrition in viral vs. bacterial infections.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/glucose-inflammation/498965/

(What The Fast?!) #17

I’ve seen a few testimonials recently about dry-fasting a cold away.