Fasted Training

(eat more) #1

if you’re fat adapted and already exercising…doooo it!

another spontaneous fast in the name of experimentation…last week i did HIIT while fasted and it was good so i figured i’d try with resistance training…

was a cranky butt this morning…didn’t even want to go to the gym…had errands so might as well go…grrrr

ran a couple of pre gym errands
started my weight training around 17 hours fasted
squats, bent over rows, shoulders, bis, tris and then i was so hyper i went and did a walk/run mile on the treadmill.

the only reason i left the gym was because i had more errands (walmart/costco) and i was brain bored.
no dizziness, no bonk, no muscle fatigue, no vomit…none of the things that “they” say will happen from fasted resistance (or cardio) training.

apparently the junk in my trunk is the best pre workout ever :blush:

ate at 20 hours fasted

@MKChitown - tagging you since i know you’re fasting today and a gym goer :blush:
how’s the fast going?

EDIT: if you’re fasting and start feeling overly hungry and want to keep going…exercise.
i know it sounds counterintuitive but i was really hungry and grumpy before i walked into the gym. did my workout and was able to complete my errands and take care of things at home before eating with no issues…

(Michelle) #2

Hi @mikki - yep, started a fast today, but didn’t make it to the gym. I did walk about 3 miles, but not strenuous. My hammy has an injury, so I’m going to use this week to baby it a bit. Tomorrow will be yoga, and then Wednesday I’ll try lifting weights.

Fast is going okay. Hunger comes in waves. Had cold hands and feet earlier, so upped my salt intake. Have had black coffee, water, bone broth and ACV. We’ll see how long I can make it!!

(eat more) #3

you can dooo eet :blush:

(Alex Dipego) #4

23hrs Fasted and I lifted 445lbs with a deadlift… felt amazing! Fasted training in the beginning is weird and not mind blowing, but once adapted… Pumps are unreal, strength flies and energy is unlimited (so it feels). Your brain will be fired up way past your bodys ability and its insane to feel that, yet awesome at the same time.

(eat more) #5

funny…actual words said to me today “yeah but nobody can deadlift fasted!”
:joy::joy::joy:

you can…and i’m sure i can just wasn’t part of today’s schedule lol

Thank you for the encouragement! I worked out all the way through getting into keto. Now I’m doing a 24 hour fast today with a workout planned for later.

(Alex Dipego) #7

Dr. Dom D’Agostino. Point that person out to who told you that. He went on a 7 day fast and rep’d 500lbs 10 times… The proof is in the pudding.

(Allan Misner) #8

Every time I exercise it is fasted. Even when I’m not fully fat-adapted (I cycle in and out of ketosis), I have no trouble getting in an hour long workout. I think when people think they’re bonking it is all a mindset issue, not a physical one. There is plenty of muscle and liver glycogen to keep you going for 90 -120 minutes of moderate to intense work.

(Alex Dipego) #9

To tag onto this, it’s after that hr mark I get the mental boost.

(Ross) #10

Been playing with intermittent fasting in July and August.

My main athletic activities are swimming (masters group with coach) and weight lifting (I follow Pavel Tsatsouline’s ideas in Power To The People but add some wide grip pullups)

My coach pulled me aside after a couple fasted practice sessions and asked me what had changed because she noticed I was both faster and more consistent in my intervals. I think she thought I was crazy when I told her I hadn’t eaten in 24 hours and it seemed to help.

I lift 2X/week mainly power & for maintenance (not actively trying to gain either size or strength).
While I am clearly getting more definition & leaning out, my measured weight seems constant at 160#, perhaps indicating I’m adding muscle mass.

I recently saw a study that measured an increase in testosterone production for men on a ketogenic diet. Perhaps the fasting boosts that effect?

(Adam Kirby) #11

It boosts human growth hormone, which I believe peaks in the 3rd day of a fast. I would guess the increased T for men on low carb is simply the reversing of the terrible hormonal effects of the standard American diet.

(Ethan) #12

I’ve been doing morning cardio and weight training while fasted without any drop in performance. I wish I could do HIIT or high-weight resistance, but my heart can’t take it.

(Ross) #13

Good info! I’ve been doing LCHF for 2.5 years, so likely HGH boost from fasting then. Thanks!