Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Todd Allen) #81

Feast & fast to live longer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G92kHgieiKk&feature=youtu.be

(Peter Barney) #82

Broke my 7 day fast with a handful of pecans and some butter, all good a couple hours later, bacon and eggs in butter. My blood glucose dived to 2.1 blood ketones raced up to 6.7. This was a new experience for me with fasting I normally see an opposite response on breaking my fasts. Back to 20 - 4 my regular routine and feeling better bg still down at 3.8. Any thoughts on what happened?

I do better breaking fast without carbs stuff. Pecans are pretty low in carbs, but not zero carb. Maybe, next time, try something else without carbs? Avoid any insulinogenic response. I prefer to ingest very fatty bone broth.

(Peter Barney) #84

Will do, it surprised me to get such a strong insulin response up until then it had just been a regular fast.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #85

This is the first feasting day after fasting. Iā€™m pretty excited. LOL And Iā€™m excited to see what Sunday brings after a full week of switching it up and being all random.

Thanks for this. Lots of good stuff sprinkled throughout the talk.
Loved this line towards the end: ā€œInstead of having spinach tonight, I think Iā€™ll eat some dead mitochondria.ā€ :joy:

(Vivian) #87

I am certainly curious!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #88

My 10 day water fast in February was one of the most epic things Iā€™ve ever done.
Likely because I was so very sick three years ago before keto and I couldnā€™t go more than a few hours without carbohydrate, and I was incredibly overweight at the time too(at least 100 pounds more than now).

Talk about self hate! And all because I didnā€™t understand, and my GP treated me as if it were my fault. Donā€™t get me started on the ADA diet (search FUCK YOU ADA) Lol.

I have not tried this feast/fast cycling. I am curious how I will respond. I have, however, done a myriad of self experimentation, including having just completed a 30 day steak only challenge(search 30 Day Steak Challenge). I lost 10 pounds on that, and overate protein for the first 10 days at least! The remainder of the 30 days I was eating at least 50 grams more fat than my usual ketogenic diet.
I STILL lost 10 pounds!
I lost 50 doing full and strict ZC in 2015

I fully believe in mixing things up. I normally fast 3 to 4 days the third week of each month (search Zornfast), but I may start a feast fast cycle next week after the scheduled Zornfast.

I love a challenge, and am forever curiousā€¦

(Jacquie) #89

Iā€™ve got a soft spot for Art De Vany as he was there in the early stages of the paleo movement. Art is an economist and good friends with Nassim Nicholas Taleb and theyā€™ve had some interesting conversations about paleo and other topics. Art got into paleo/whole foods (whatever you what to call it) when his young son was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. Later on, his first wife was also diagnosed as a T1. He could see that both of them were not doing well on the standard diabetic diet and thatā€™s when he decided to intervene and change their diet for the better. Later on, his wife became very ill (lots of damage had been done already) developing a severe vasculitis and died. He wrote some very moving entries in his blog at that time. Very sad.

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #90

Lots of good info on this thread! I have been thinking about doing alternate day fasting starting in May. I figure may 1 will give me plenty of time to get back on keto after my vacation in NOLA this weekend (wedding), since I have no idea what Iā€™ll be able to eat there and will probably end up cheating at some point. I havenā€™t fasted yet on keto other than the 16:8, so thisā€™ll be new for me. The one time I tried a full day fast was pre-keto, so needless to say that was pretty rough. Iā€™m pretty excited this go round to prove to myself that I can do it!

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #91

@ketogarden- Simple yet profound. Idk why these words never occurred to me before.

Today is the first day of fasting after 4 days of feastingā€¦weight went up a couple pounds from the initial ten pound loss from cycle one. Could be just water, who knows? Who cares? Still down 8 before starting this fast.

Plan on going three to five days, depending on how I feel.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #93

Iā€™m ~really~ feasting today and after I finish my next meal this afternoon, I will be fasting until maybe Thursday or Friday and will maintain my regularly scheduled workouts for that time.

#KCKO

P.S.
Iā€™ve gone back to including more rendered bacon fat in my diet. I just wanted to share that. LOL

(Henna Selnes) #94

I feasted for 4 days and weighed myself, then just finished today a 45 1/2 hour fast. ( best fast length I have ever done) I stopped because I had become so cold, but it passed and a few hours later I started to feel nauseous. I ended with a nice bowl of ox tail soup. Nice and fatty. After this 6 days I am down 2.7 kilos. So now I am ready to feast maybe 2-3 days and fast again. I love this, time to make cheesecake!

(Jessica) #95

Guys, I messed up around Easter. To be prepaired, I fasted beforehand, but gained every single pound back. And more.
Friday lunch until monday dinner I had big keto meals and - because it was Easter - had lots of keto treats as snacks in between. Not surprised about what my scale had to say.

Now Iā€™m back to fasting and Iā€™m hoping to make better decisions next feasting episode. Especially no snacks + no treats.

Problem is, that I already feel cold. Hopefully this will pass, because it doesnā€™t seem like a good idea to stop fasting already. Itā€™s been only 21 hours.

(eat more) #96

why?

are you hungry?
is your body telling you it needs food or is your body telling you it needs salt/electrolytes?

just like getting hung up on scale numbersā€¦we can get hung up on ā€œhours fastedā€ numbers and not listen to what our bodies are actually telling us

(Jessica) #97

No, Iā€™m not. But I had some more salt, maybe that works.

@JesS90 the cycling isnā€™t always a good fit for everyone: it can lead to a transgression/punishment cycle that isnā€™t good for long term sustainability of the lifestyle

(Jessica) #99

Havenā€™t thought about that. But yeah, I guess food alone wonā€™t fix underlying behavior patterns.

Since this is the first cycle I did, Iā€™m going to see if this was just ā€œitā€™s a special occasion, I can have treatsā€-thinking or if thereā€™s more to work on.

(Kathy L) #100

Using it to fry things in? Or how else do you include it? Iā€™m envisioning eating by the spoonfuls!!!:tongue: