Fast(ed) Cycling

(Brian Peck) #41

I don’t find them critical. Ketones produce far more ATP per oxygen molecule than glucose and by boosting ketone levels through exogenous ketones, I find my maximum output is higher. I find the effect noticeable when climbing hills.

(ianrobo) #42

which supplement did you use, they are not cheap

(ianrobo) #43

while my carbage friends need to eat some carbs every hour or two.

when I ride with others they are shocked what I can do and of course they IMHO are damaging themselves in the process but they do not get what we do.

(Brian Peck) #44

I’ve tried several. I usually either use Perfect Keto mixed with MCT powder or Keto O/S. I think the combo of exogenous ketones and MCT is the way to go. I prefer the Perfect Keto product because it is a mix of different b-hydroxybutyrate salts whereas the Keto O/S is just the sodium salt. Keto O/S is a little more convenient because it already has the MCT in it.

(ianrobo) #45

Ok seen those but always felt hey were a scam as the ones Team Sky use for example are far more expensive

Thanks! I’m going to try 3-4 day fast this week, already 48 hours in. My longest workout is Friday but it’s a long steady endurance effort. I’m tempted to push it to Saturday but I have a more intense morning workout so we’ll see. I’m mostly curious as to how I’ll feel but my workout performance is pretty important to me so don’t want to suffer a big hit and have to slog through.

(Brian Peck) #47

Fasting increases growth hormone, which peaks at about 72 hours. I would fast until after the workout and then feast after.

Friday would give me 96 hours then feast. I look forward to the results, feeling great so far.

Did my Thursday afternoon ride yesterday after not eating since Wed. night. Did night feel any worse and went home and ate a normal dinner. May continue doing this on my Tuesday and Thursday rides. One less thing to bring to work. Enough to remember and carry with bike clothes, shoes, helmet etc.

(ianrobo) #50

Proves a lot eh ? Carbers try that and they will burn up !

Did an 80 minute ride on trainer this morning (raining here) at high cadence without eat breakfast first. Legs felt good and do not feel like I need a rest before riding again.
Been eating around 20 net grams of carbs a day since February. Thinking of upping a little to see how I respond. Maybe up to 50. How many carbs are you eating a day with all of your riding?

(ianrobo) #52

OK because I completed my aims and going on hols soon I have let up a bit, however around 50g but TBH stopped counting now and still blown 50 on he Ketonix

My thinking is I will never go back eating the way I was but I don’t think the occasional baked sweet potatoe or bowl of oatmeal not going to hurt me. Just checking my blood weekly to stay in Ketosis. I just think for my size I can do more than 20 grams.

(ianrobo) #54

and also the amount of exercise, just be sensible about it