Fast(ed) Cycling

(torie) #1

So I’m just curious - does anyone else go out for a ride first thing in the morning, with just an espresso (or two) for fuel?

I used to cycle 3 times a week like this. Then life happened and a lot of crap for 8 months for cycling fell by the wayside. (Not keto, though!) Started back on the bike this week and it was Bloody Hard Work! I only do 15km which I got down to a reasonable 30 mins - now it’s taking me an hour. Of course, today I found my front brake sticking on, so there’s that.

Can a reasonably active ride like this be advantageous? I mean, I don’t need to go all out to get the benefits, right? Hopefully will build up my speed again (and fix the brakes).

The funny thing - the days I cycle, I’m LESS hungry than the days I don’t. Which doesn’t make logic sense to me… psychological??

(Richard Morris) #2

I cycle fasted all the time - well when I’m not recovering from a knee injury.

Yeah starting up again after a 8 month break would be tough, I feel out of sorts when I take a week off.

(Paul Allen) #3

I generally do 1 hour indoor cycling twice a week in a fasted state. (depending on the weather I may go outside). This past week I did a 1.5 hour session preceded by a 24 hour fast. I use this method when I can’t ride outside and generally can go about 62 miles (100k) with only needing water and electrolytes. I find that my glucose control is much better with this routine.

(ianrobo) #4

I have done 4 and half hour fasted rides

Every morning my one hour commute is fasted at half 5 in the morning. If you struggle then you are not fat adapted but fasted rides are perfect for that. It is what I did building from steady 1hr to what I can do now.

Even on the 4 and half hour one which I mainly done in Z2/3 power at the end I only finish because of time and not because of needing to eat.

(Dan Schumacher) #5

Just got done with a 14 mile ride this afternoon after fasting for 36 hours (first time fasting that long). Never ran out of energy - felt good! A couple years ago I thought I needed a couple of gel packs for this ride! I’m kind of amazed!

(ianrobo) #6

And that is the power of fat adaption and unlimited energy reserves !

(Beth) #7

Well this is my first post. I’ve been working into Keto now for about 2 months eating low carb and fasting 2-3 days a week when I can. I did a 72 hour fast this week and ended it with a 20 mile bike ride (rolling terrain here). Either I am pretty out of shape (yes) or I’m not fully fat adapted yet because I didn’t feel very perky when I got home, but I didn’t bonk either!

I’m just glad it’s winter and I have an opportunity to get fit and enjoy dragging less of me up these hills!

Not psychological in the least. I’m guessing that what’s happening is that you’re burning off the excess glucose in your blood, and your metabolism switches over to burning free fatty acids.

That’s the way it works for me. Exercise boosts my ketone levels. Once I’m in that state, I can go all day without being bothered by the need to eat.

(ianrobo) #9

I still get really hungry, like today, not a full fasted rides, just three eggs but gave it full pelt and now starving …

Now this was with a Vespa so maybe that has an impact but in Keto, you know as long as it is fat calories don;t matter !

(ianrobo) #10

another fasted ride today 103km in 4 hours, don;t tell me that eating Keto weakens performance !

(Roger Morris) #11

I ride fasted all the time now. I went Keto last July out of curiosity and to help my wife with weight loss and her diabetes. When I ride I have my coffee with Kerry Gold butter, MCT oil, coconut oil and raw cacao powder. At first I would still carry a few gels, just in case, now nothing except for maybe some macadamia nuts for a snack on longer rides. Our club just a 60 mile (100 km) this past weekend and I felt great. I started carrying coconut oil packets to add to my mid ride coffee. It is funny you mention not being hungry. When I was carbing,I would be starving when I got home. Now I can go for a couple more hours before feeling the urge to eat something.

(torie) #12

I seem to be improving, I’m doing longer (though not 100km!!) rides now in the same time, so 40 minutes for 18km. Yes, I realize I still cycle at the speed of a snail, but I still cycle. You should see how slow I ‘run’!

I’m trying to get out more than 3 times a week as it does cut down the appetite. And as you guys say, it must boost the whole ketone thing. My cheap alcohol breath meter starts beeping and shouting ‘caution’ at me after I come back from a session (of cycling).

Although still at a loss as to why I’m not losing. (See what I did there?)

(ianrobo) #13

A couple of things, are you progressing, if so then take that aim for your own aims and not others.

As for weight, ignore that and look at neck and waist measurements for example are they coming down ??

(torie) #14

I think my stamina is getting better - but sadly the measurements aren’t! I’m not knocking it - I feel good and full of energy, but I have a good amount of weight and size to shift… so I’m still plodding along and adjusting macros. I’m tracking, and I know I’m fat-adapted, so curious as to why - if I’m definitely using stored fat as energy, why is it not being used up! :slight_smile: Hah! On a plus point, I’m convinced I’ll be great come the zombie apocolypse, as my body appears to need very little to survive. :slight_smile:

(Roger Morris) #15

Have you tried intermittent fasting yet?

(torie) #16

I do, actually. In general my dinner is just before 7pm and then my next meal is at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. So 19/20 hours fasted. (Except on Saturdays, when I have breakfast of a couple of poached eggs.)

(Shannon Roberts) #17

18km in 40 minutes is average 27km/hr.
that might not be morning shop ride pace, but it’s not s-l-o-w.
well done.

if your goal is to increase your pace, push yourself and become more of a ‘cyclist’ (ie one of those ppl who wear stupid shoes you can’t walk in, and take up all the tables at the cafe on saturday morning) have a look on facebook for some local recreational cycling groups. you’ll lift that pace in no time!*

*this advice is on the assumption that you have a road bike. a mountain bike or hybrid is going to be even more of a challenge if you’re riding with a group of roadies.

(Shannon Roberts) #18

notice that i made no comment on your fasting state. it’s not what’s holding you back anymore. go, you, go!

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #19

@EatSleepRide has answered this, but another way of looking at it is that exercise appears to improve insulin sensitivity / reduces insulin resistance, and blood insulin levels go down, at least for people on keto, and you have better access to your body fat for use as fuel.

(ianrobo) #20

whereas a carb burner I used to be starving at the end of long rides, now I find it takes about an hour before I start to feel it. IT does kick in and seems take longer and slower to do that.

Presume thats the insulin impact as described ?