Fashion Victory or Complaint?

I have to go to fundraiser brunch in a couple of weeks. It’s not a pancake breakfast for the football team kind of thing, but more of a ladies who lunch thing. Pancake breakfast: there’s a huge range of what you can wear and no one will notice anyway. Ladies brunch: there’s a tiny range of what’s acceptable and everyone will notice.

I really thought it would be incredibly annoying if I had to buy a very nice new dress that I would probably wear just once. I was wondering if I might be able to find something to wear at the consignment shop that wasn’t hideous and actually fit. Then I looked at some good options at Gwynnie Bee, the clothing rental service.

Then I remembered that I had a dress in my closet that might work (with the right accessories to dress it up), if it fit. Last time I looked at it sideways, there was no chance even with Spanx. I tried the dress on today and it fits! It might even be a tiny bit big. So I don’t have to spend money on a dress.

Or: I don’t get to have anything new. :cry:

(Khara) #2

Victory. :tada:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

Definitely a victory :champagne:

(Carl Keller) #4

You could buy a new dress, leave the tags on it, save the receipt, wear it to said function, then return it the next day explaining that it didn’t fit. :sunglasses:

(Khara) #5

I totally thought that was a girl thing.

Actually I didn’t even know it was a thing until I saw a woman at Starbucks a while back with tags hanging off of her back. I started to go and tell her when my friend, sweet innocent quiet little friend, told me that’s probably what this woman was doing. I had no idea.

(Natasha) #6

Carl Keller!!! :lying_face:

('Jackie P') #7

As long as you dont get butter down it😂

(Cranford Coulter) #8

I saw that on some movie.

I know! Given my rate of spillage down my front, I would never risk a wear-and-return.

That is a win! Congratulations. I just tried on jeans that I could not squeeze into for ages and they were perfectly comfy now. It is a good feeling!

(Melora) #11

Congratulations! But if you feel like something new, try ThredUp, it’s an online consignment store and I’ve been very happy with it.

(Marianne) #12

That is huge! Good for you!!!

There are consignment shops and then there are consignment shops. We have two on the pricey side of town and they are no joke. Gorgeous stuff; although you pay a little more.

There are two nice ones near me, and one of them stocks larger sizes, as you might guess the choices are not great. They aren’t great for people trying to buy new, so they’re not going to get better with second-hand. Add in my height and it’s virtually impossible to find a fashionable dress that isn’t inappropriately short for my age and size. I’m at least 10 years past any “no mini-skirts after XX age” rule.

(Martha Schildknecht) #14

That’s called stealing in my book, Carl.

(Marianne) #15

I hear you. The fashionable consignment shops near us must be stocked by the Junior Leaguers. I’m stereotyping, but most of the clothes are for thin people. Can’t wait until I can shop there! Beautiful stuff.

(Carl Keller) #16

I call it free advertising. :wink:

(Janet) #17

Sorry. Don’t agree. The person who spends the money on it later is not getting a new piece of clothing. But a used piece with (think about it) skin bits and mites on it. At consignment shops the clothing is cleaned before and we know someone has normally had it before us. Doing it deliberately for a nice cheap outfit for one day seems like stealing to me. But that is a matter for the soul I guess. :smirk:

AWESOME!!! It’s a wonderful feeling when that happens! YAY for you!