Farmers to promote cows who don't f***

Low-emission cows: farming responds to climate warning

:cow: :ox: :cow: :water_buffalo: :cow:

(Doug) #2

Global warming.
Or a lot of hot air?

That might suggest I donā€™t ā€œbelieveā€ in global warming.
The science is certain Iā€™m afraid.

(Ken) #5

Certain that itā€™s a Fraud. As far as humans causing it.

(Bunny) #6

That whole environmental methane gas thing is vegan agenda <== figures? Has nothing to do with climate change or global warming <== is natural and better for living beings, it means the earths ozone layer (is increasing) and electromagnetic field is becoming stronger (protects and shields us from the sun and cosmic radiation)!

image image

ā€ā€¦ 30 AUGUST 2018 - Exploring the Arctic climate system

ā€ā€¦ Spearheaded by Germanyā€™s Alfred Wegener Institute, the ā‚¬120 million Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate (MOSAiC) mission aims to answer some of the biggest scientific questions about the Arctic, including investigating why the region is warming twice as fast as the global average.ā€ā€¦ NERC Associate Director of Research Ned Garnett said: ā€œWe know that the dramatic changes in the Arctic climate system and the rapid decline in the extent of Arctic sea ice in summer has a major impact on our global climate. ā€¦ā€

ā€ā€¦"However, we donā€™t yet adequately understand this warming process, and a lack of year-round observations in the central Arctic makes predicting future changes in the area very challenging. This gap in our understanding of the Arctic climate is one of the most pressing problems in predicting global climate change.ā€

He said, as part of the MOSAiC programme, world-class scientists from the UK will join international counterparts on the Polarstern to help scientists to better predict changes in the Arctic and globally. ā€¦ā€ā€¦More

(Chris) #7

And as far as cows causing it. If itā€™s anything to do with humans, NASA found fracking to be more of a threat than livestock. When cows eat their natural diet, they sequester much more carbon than they release. Ruminants are glorious.

(Doug) #8

Bunny, itā€™s a subject thatā€™s akin to religion for some peopleā€¦ Iā€™ve seen nuttiness on both sides of the argument. Not saying we are headed for imminent catastrophe, but I also wouldnā€™t dismiss it outright. Thereā€™s a lot of baloney financed by interests that want the issue to ā€˜go away,ā€™ and thereā€™s some ludicrous stuff thatā€™s come from people/government interests who want to get in on the ā€œanti-global-warmingā€ money train or promote more taxation and govā€™t control.

The electromagnetic field varies in a complex way, and itā€™s hard to predict what will happen. The ozone is indeed increasing - the ā€˜holeā€™ over Antarctica is decreasing in size - but as far as I know this is due to lesser usage of CFCs (where there isnā€™t any rational doubt that they effect ozone, from everything Iā€™ve read).

Methane gas does matter. We produce less of it, about 1/8 as much as CO2, and it doesnā€™t last as long in the atmosphere, but itā€™s also 25+ times more efficient at retaining heat in the atmosphere.

With the increased CO2 in the air, plants do grow better. Regardless of dismissal or cries of doom, the world is changing in interesting ways.

On the carbon dioxide thing - thereā€™s an overall carbon cycle of release and absorption thatā€™s almost entirely in balance, without the effects of humanity. The ā€˜naturalā€™ CO2 is a lot more than what people produce, but the additonal amount from human activity is resulting in a cumulative build-up. Roughly 40% of the ā€˜extraā€™ that we make gets absorbed, while the remaining 60% remains in the air and thus the CO2 concentration rises.

Ken, Gore did/does go too far - I grant you that, and some of his predictions have already shown to be false. Yet Spencer does not deny that humans are causing at least some of the global warming. Heā€™s also been wrong plenty of times in the past, and engaged in his own brand of ā€˜crazy science.ā€™

We donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen - thus far, computer models arenā€™t working out well, for the most part. I think many people expect ā€œlinear change,ā€ and thus it may be easy for some to really latch on to a gloom-and-doom scenario. Whatever happens in the long run, I wonā€™t be around to see where it ends up - 60th birthday is next year. Wish I could get a glance at things 100 years hence, 200ā€¦