Fake steak?

(Ellen) #1

Yeah, think I’ll give this a miss and stay with real steak, although might be helpful to any vegetarian ketoers.

(Karen) #2

Wheat and soy doesn’t really help. It’,s a tough road for a vegan to keto.

K

(Chris) #3

Probably very unhelpful to them actually.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Why?

(Ellen) #5

@Keto6468, @Dread1840 Fair enough, tbh I’ve never even looked at trying veggie / vegan keto, suspect it’s very hard, I’ll stay with real steak :wink:

(CharleyD) #6

Aside from the starch content in wheat products and ignoring the whole GMO discussion, the gluten protein in wheat increases intestinal permeability.

Soy has the same GMO issues and unless fermented has active phytoestrogens, an endocrine disrupting hormone.

#realfoodforrealpeople

Then what can vegan keto peeps eat for the protein?

(CharleyD) #8

Not stuff that we would consider. Mainly lentils and legumes if they follow a whole food diet and don’t supplement. Tiny bit of protein with a big starch package.

(Allie) #9

"made from wheat and soy"

I’ll pass…

(Ethan) #10

Vegan really means “processed” nowadays.

Am I the only one thinking to invite a bunch of vegans for a bbq, show them the empty packet but then just give them a real steak…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And if they are in it for religious reason…

Congratulations, you have successfully triggered your friends’ anger point.

Then basically those vegan peeps cannot do keto?

(Chris) #14

It’s virtually impossible for them to do it in a healthy way, meaning all of the micronutrients would ideally bioavailable (hopefully but not possibly without supplements, which are also doubtful in their efficacy when plant-derived).

It’s being done by a great very few, Robb Wolf had mentioned some people he knows making it work, but the vast majority cannot.

It’s also prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, not healthy. It can be done, but not healthy?

(Soy for protein, pink sea salt for micronutrient, vegetable oil for fat. Not healthy except pink sea salt, but at least it is workable this way)

(CharleyD) #16

True @Dread1840 the way I heard it said that made sense to me was that plants have been around a lot longer than animal life and have had to learn to be good chemists to survive being most stationary. And those antinutrients were made to help guide animals to eat what the plants wanted us to eat, the fruit and seed, rather than the leaves and stems.

And then there’s our own SNPs that may make it particularly troublesome to get, say sufficient fatty acids from plants instead of animal sources, like mine:

via FoundMyFitness

(CharleyD) #17

It is workable for a time. I like the theory of Bruce Ames, he calls it the Triage Theory of micronutrient usage and reserve.

https://www.bruceames.org/Triage.pdf

So in practice, if you ate a varied diet in your youth, you build a reserve of vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, etc. And then when you decide to restrict your diet, going vegan for example, you have a bit of time where your body will attempt to conserve the micronutrients for short-term survivability.

The downside is that DNA repair is a long-term concern.

(TJ Borden) #18

They cut the “steak” with a butter knife in the video… there’s no way the texture is correct.

I actually think this is a good thing. If a company has gone to the time and expense to develop something like this, that suggests vegans are demanding “meat”.

That means the vegan concept is dying because clearly they aren’t content with plants. On the flip side, I’ve never seen any meat based plant substitutes. I’m not saying “if only there were a chicken based cantaloupe”.

(Ellen) #19

Nah, I’ll keep the steak for those that really appreciate it aka the steak is all mine!

(Ellen) #20

A chicaloupe?? Could be interesting, go for it :wink: