Fake steak?

(ianrobo) #21

Strange how so many vegans wAnt meat like products ?? Almost like their veganism is for show ? Would I want a meat tasting Tofu haha

(Chris) #22

Think you might be onto something…we’re talking about a diet that makes no real claims about health, but is 100% focused on virtue-signaling - letting everyone that isn’t them know that they care about…something!

(ianrobo) #23

And they just spread the lie that meat production is bad for the planet based on a WHO report biased by a vegan leader !

(Ethan) #24

@Baytowvin, no. It doesn’t suggest that vegans are demanding meat. It suggests that vegans think they can convert others to veganism by giving them meat substitutes.

(TJ Borden) #25

Dumb plan. “I love steak, and now that I can get a soy based steak look alike, I think I’ll try going vegan” SAID NO ONE EVER.

(Randy) #26

Hahahahaha!!!

Vegans LOVE meat!!!:rofl:

Well, it is more like…
Let a person be A.

• A goes Vegan because of the religious/virtue reason(and maybe some blinded health belief)
  • but A doesn’t bear to give up all the meats
  • suddenly there are some substitute, and it is somemore “healthy”, as soy is still promoted as healthy when you look at it in theory.
  • A is very happy and eats it, since this fake steak is not a steak, so this steak is not gotten by killing cow.
  • A can satisfy his craving of beef, yet he avoids killing a cow. Oh, yay.

It is what I know about some of the vegans.

How I look at it:
Since we(human) can make the substitute, we don’t need to kill the beef for the steak. we can spare the life of one cow.

(Doug) #29

Cow

(Jay AM) #30

As a previous vegan, this would have been wonderful. I was mostly in it for the health benefits. Though, my true foray into veganism started around 12. I got offered a “vegetarian start kit” for teens and preteens off a now defunct website that gave away things like stickers, coupons for school supplies and hair dye, crazy gel pens. Basically, stuff teens would like at the time. So, I got the kit. It came in a box with cute stickers and a booklet that had happy cartoon animals and vegetables. Inside the book were pictures of very graphic animal horrors. Mind you, this was targeted at a preteen and young teen age group. Propaganda at its truest. I did eat some fake vegan meat products and even tried to make tofu bacon. I mean, everyone and their mother says vegan is the true healthiest diet and you save animals. Obviously I know that was wrong now but, I see the appeal. There is a whole sect of hardcore vegans who say these types of products just continue to support the meat industry and any vegan eating them isn’t a true vegan.

(TJ Borden) #31

So it might actually be the beef industry behind the fake steak, in an attempt to divide and conquer. :joy:

(Lisa) #32

:joy:

(ianrobo) #33

And this is the kind of vegan lie we see. Normally love this podcast but look at the premise they started with and one of the presenters is a Vegan …

(Danielle ) #34

I’m brand new here on this forum, so don’t shoot me! I can see the appeal here… As a long-term vegetarian (not vegan… I do consume eggs and dairy), I would be tempted to give it a try, simply for the sake of variety.

I have followed a vegetarian diet since 1989 for mostly ethical reasons… And to be honest, for the gross-out factor. I have just always had a hard time disassociating the fact that meat=muscle tissue, and an animal had to lose its life… Even as a very young child.

It’s nothing to do with the taste of meat… It’s the source that gives me trouble. Keto is actually great for me, because the protein demands are actually quite lower than other diets I’ve been on through the years! (I do miss beans, though!)

Anyway. There’s a pretty good guide to vegetarian keto over at ruled.me if anyone is interested in reading up on how it can be done.

(Brian) #35

And you have done a pretty good job of describing a very large group of them.

I’ve sat in religious services where they purposefully make reference to “killing the fatted tofu” and specifically avoiding the mention of Jesus actually preparing some fish for his deciples after they came in from fishing. They sometimes have tried to make light of it but honestly, it irritates me to hear them do that.

Of the groups that I am most familiar with, there is a percentage of those who buy the vegetarian thing hook line and sinker and a subset of those who are convinced that vegan is the only way to heaven. It can get kinda stupid. But maybe half smile politely, partake of the fake stuff when it’s presented at a potluck, and then go about living their lives as sensible omnivores. (I’m pretty much in that last group except I just don’t bother much with the potluck stuff anymore. If forced into it, there is generally a bit of salad or something I can eat that I can occupy myself with that satisfies them that I’m eating.)

Some of the vegan / vegetarian folks mean well. Some genuinely desire that people be well and in good health. I appreciate that. And there are some foods that we can share without compromise. The fake meat, though, I’ve pretty much left behind completely. Some of it, my wife is allergic to. Some of it, I can’t digest. So it’s a bit like Russian Roulette to think about eating freely of the fake meat. Either way, if we happen to get something we can’t handle, it’s not pretty, so it’s best for us to just leave the stuff alone.

Interestingly, I do know a fellow that will not eat anything that is made to look like meat. Tofu, gluten steaks, ground meatless whatever, if it’s made to look like meat, he will not eat it. Gotta admire him for his integrity even though I don’t agree with his choices.